PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

salsa45

Lurker
Jan 8, 2013
So I received a Mr. Brog pipe for Christmas, a churchwarden to be exact. Could any body tell me the quality of a Mr. Brog pipe. What makes a churchwarden a churchwarden?

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Mr. Brog are fantastic pipes. Most of them are Pear Wood as opposed to Briar. However for the price I say they are unbeatable. I have several and always enjoy smoking them. Churhwarden is in reference to the length of the "stem". Longer stem, cooler smoke I believe is the goal there. I myself have not had the pleasure of smoking one yet.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Welcome to the forum.
The term "Churchwarden" came about as monks use to use the long stem to reach kids on the pews around them to get their attention. I think the discussions a while back came down to any stem over 6" is considered a Churchwarden but it doesn't really matter. If you read some of the past threads you will also see debate over the theory that the longer stem cools the smoke.
Have not heard anything but good reviews about Mr. Brog pipes. I do not have one as they are not my style but many here attest to their quality, to both their Briar and Pear pipes.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
One warning I recall about church wardens for new smokers is the smoke is cooler so they tend to smoke them too fast and sometimes damage the wood. I've not had that happen but I can see the potential: the smoke feels cool 12" away from the fire source and you puff happily away not realizing how hot the wood is really getting. Just something to keep in mind…
As for Mr Brog, I own one and it smokes very well. I had some issues that were small and I took care of them myself. I'd buy another one in the future (but not in that horrible "purple" color! LOL).

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
The Churchwaden question has been answered but I have two Brog's and I love them.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I have a Mr Brog pipe. It is a solid pipe that always smokes well. .When I finally bite the bullet and get a churchwarden it wil be a Mr.Brog.

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
I own two Mr. Brogs, a churchwarden and an XOL. Both of them are great smokers, and in my regular rotation. I don't use the 9mm filter, and both smoke amazingly well without them.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
I have 2 Brog's both churchwardens and both pear wood. I really enjoy them, they are great smokers cool and sweet. The pear wood was easy to break in, much quicker than my briars. The cake formed nicely in both so they should last well. 1 note with pear wood, it is softer than briar so care must be taken when breaking in to not overheat the wood and burn out. Once the cake has developed if maintained at proper thickness then pear wood should last very well.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
I have a Mr. Brog that I cannot keep lit to save my life. My natural inclination is to blame my own methods but I don't have the same problem with any other pipe I own. I have over 50 pipes. Maybe I got a bad one? The draw seems fine and I think the pipe is mechanically sound. But I have a hell of a time smoking it. I bought for its unique look and attached cap over the bowl. It is a green bent sitter. For the price it seems to be of good quality. I have not given up on it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.