PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
A few months back I got a Mr Brog Old Army. It had a few issues but mostly they were minor. It was suggested I return it but I didn't, though now I kind of wish I had. The biggest offense to me was the really the hideous color: it was plum purple. This photo has the background desaturated but the pipe color is true, not enhanced in any way:
image-8.png

I tried, really hard, to just get used to it. But I couldn't. So, I removed the finish, hoping to tone it down some, only to find I now had a dull purple pipe. Into an alcohol bath it went, for 24-hours she soaked. When I opened the container and peered in I was greeted by a still very purple pipe! It was like that color was teasing me. I let it dry out for a couple of days and rubbed it down with acetate, hoping to get some color off: nothing. The. I tried Formby's, again to no avail. So I lightly sanded it with 220 and back into the alcohol for another 24 plus-hours it went. And, you guessed it: The thing was still as purple as ever.
Tonight I sanded that sucker and good: starting with 150 grit. Even at that course of a grit I could not get all the purple off; I believe I would have had a small nub left if I'd sanded away all the purple! I gave up after getting it to the point in the first photo and began smoothing it out, going 220/320/400 grits, the second photo.
photo1-16.jpg

Fearing that the purple left behind would show through anything else, I gave her a good coating of USMC Black Fiebings leather dye and flamed it in. The. I began the polishing and waxing process. I never really wanted a black pipe before. But I gotta say: Classic black beats plum purple every day of the week and twice on Christmas!
photo2-15.jpg

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
Must be a good smoker to put all that work into it! Looks like some grain can be seen thru the black... cool. :clap:

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I'm not a fan of shiny black pipes, but that purple was certainly hideous. The brass sets off the black nicely though. Good work I say :puffy:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Greg:
I've been following your restoration work with interest. You're just getting better and better with each passing project.
Good job, friend.
Fnord

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
It looks like it would have been cheaper and easier to throw it away and buy a new one, good job though!

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Yes, I was able to get a bit of grain to show through. It didn't have a lot but I wanted what was there to come out some. I buffed off some of the dye with a rag before flaming it in and that worked pretty well. The pear wood sucked the dye in much faster than briar, by the way.
It did smoke well before; I just hated the purple. And like ghost said, this was more fun! 8)
Thank you Fnord. I'm really enjoying learning more and trying different things as I go. My next project is an old Falcon. I'm pretty excited to try it as I've yet to give one of those a go. I picked it up at an antique store Christmas Eve with another no-name for a pittance.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Very nice work on that Mr Brog Greg. I wouldn't have had the cojones to risk it, but it paid off. :clap:

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Okay - n00b question here. When you say you applied leather dye and "flamed it in", what sort of process are you describing? I'm assuming heat is involved... but how much and for how long, and what sort?
See, the thing is - I've got some carving knives, a father-in-law who knows something about carving, and a selection of leather dyes. And with payday coming up, I might consider trying my hand at a carve-it-yourself pipe kit. If not now, then some time in the future...

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
The dye is alchole based. After applying the dye to the wood, light it on fire. The alchole quickly burns away and sets the color. This might take a couple times to get the color as you want it. Look for a youtube video of how this is done, before you try it.
Winton

Status
Not open for further replies.