PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
Who has tried them? Are they anygood? I was just curious because the price point is so low. Could someone give us the lowdown?

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
I have a few of their pear-wood pipes and I love them. They are a fantastic pipe for the price. My favorite pipe is a Brog, their No. 19 Dublin (its small, like a featherweight).
I will say that, in my experience, the chambers of the pipes tend to run a bit smaller than what you might expect. Also, pear-wood tends to burn a bit hotter than briar, but takes a cake the same and then will burn as a caked briar would. Mr. Brog pipes are pretty good looking and always look better than what they should being $25-30. They usually come with stingers - some smoke better with the stinger, others with it removed - really, it's a matter of preference.
Mr. Brog has four tiers of pipes:
First Tier - Pear or rosewood, heavily varnished, rose color, machine made, usually $10
Second Tier - Pear-wood, no varnish, stains from light to dark, handmade, $25-$35ish
Third Tier - Briar, no varnish, natural briar stain, handmade, $50-$80
Fourth Tier - Olive wood, natural stain, handmade, $100-$350
I own first a second tier Brogs - my experience with the cheapest pipes are mixed, but the pear-wood handmades are fantastic values and great smokers.

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
I have a Mr. Brog "Kentucky" I just so happen to be smoking on today. Pear wood, in a kind of exaggerated pot style, set up for a filter, which I do not use, but it would take a 9mm adapter if necessary (IIRC). Down side, it does not pass a cleaner for me, and the finish seems kinda cheap, like it gets tacky when it heats up through smoking. I may end up stripping it. Upside: it has smoked cool, quiet, and dry, down to nothing but ash, straight out of the box, shows ZERO signs of overheating, and weighs next to nothing. After the first two bowls iI have not noticed the pear wood affecting either flavors or aromas in any appreciable way. In the end, I do not consider it a showpiece, but I really really do consider it a good buy, and will be picking up more in the future

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I own two Mr. Brog pipes a Kentucky and a #51. The Kentucky smokes very well, as stated above, and I love the look of it. The #51 just arrived yesterday and has only had one smoke in it so I am not sure how well it is going to to yet. I would highly recommend their pipes.

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
I have a # 15 church warden, and very much recommend them. For the money, it's hard to beat a Mr. Brog. Good smoking pipes, like was stated the pear wood tends to get a little hotter than briar, but that just makes me pay better attention to how I'm smoking.

mrbrog

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2011
Hi All,

Thanks for the kind words on my pipes.

I can also add that the tier one pipes are not for serious everyday smokers, and we tend to discontinue them at some point. They are good for starters that wish to burn a few pipes till they learn...

Tier 2 are primarily for smokers, but not as much for show, although they do like nice, depending on which style you like and pick.

Thanks you "oklansas" for pinpointing so well the categorization of our pipes ;-)

May I ask you all to watch this video from PipeFriendCHS on our newest model pipe.

The 202 King is made from Acaccia wood.

Click Here: Pipe Review on Model 202 King by Mr. Brog

Code:
</p>
<p>

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
Also, check out this recent thread:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/new-mr-brog-taste-that-pearwood

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I have a couple of Mr. Brog pipes. My latest is a #81 briar, which I like VERY much. It is one of the few pipes which I bought that required almost no "breaking-in". It smoked great from the second bowl!

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
I really do abuse my favorite Brog pipe (it's No. 19 Dublin - pearwood) and its shown no signs of adverse wear yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.