PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

will46r

Might Stick Around
Mar 6, 2015
I'm kinda bored with aros, any suggestions for a style of baccy that is the "next" step for a fairly new piper? I do smoke cigars and chew so vitamin N isn't really an issue for me. I'd like to try ot keep the wife happy, she likes the smell of aros.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I'm kinda bored with aros, any suggestions for a style of baccy that is the "next" step for a fairly new piper?
Naturals blends come in several types. I'd try one of each:
1. An English: C&D Engine 99

2. A dark Virginia: Dunhill Royal Yacht

3. A Va/Per: C&D Old Joe Krantz

4. A light Virginia: Capstan, FVF, Erinmore

5. A plug: Peterson Perfect Plug
And Mixture 79 of course.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
In addition to death's recommendations:
Frog Morton Cellar is a good jump from an aro to latakia blends.
Also Yenidje Highlander is dynamite.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
McClelland Stave Aged Virginia 35 Ribbon is a nice blend that is aged in bourbon barrels. Great room note and a good introduction to McClelland Virginias.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Frog Morton series will get you started easily on English style blends: Balkan, oriental, top notes with bourbon, and regular old English. Orlik golden sliced is an easy flake for Vaper's.

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
I love VA's VarBur's and VaPers.
My favorites are (the ones that I smoke having moved on from aromatics):
Orlik Golden Slice

Peter Stokebye Luxury Navy Flake

Peter Stokebby Bullseye Flake

Erinmore Flake

Escudo

Capstan Blue

Peterson University Flake

Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake

Solani 656

will46r

Might Stick Around
Mar 6, 2015
Thanks for the advice y'all. I do smoke Prince Albert and Carter Hall in my shop cob.

will46r

Might Stick Around
Mar 6, 2015
Now that I looked at the remnants of my tins and stuff.... LOL
I do smoke and enjoy:

Solani 656

Peterson University

Carter Hall

Prince Albert
I kind of assumed they were all aros, always thought the "serious" baccy smelled horrible.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
always thought the "serious" baccy smelled horrible.
Well there you go, Will. I would give some of the tobacco Sjfine and Papipeguy recommended, if you find some of the heavier smokes are not pleasing your nose. Be advised though that how a tobacco smells in the pouch may be a far cry from how it tastes when you fire it up. The world is your oyster at this point so spend some bucks and fire up. :wink:

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I transitioned from aros to english blends as do most people. Now I smoke Va/per/bur blends 90% of the time with occasional lat blends. However I have just finished my first tin of GL Pease Virginia Cream. Top quality Virginias and a bit of Vanilla extract type of aroma. You'll enjoy fine VAs and make her happy at the same time.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I transitioned from aros to english blends as do most people
Most, the vast majority, stay with aromatics. I think anyone that is on the forums or perhaps in a pipe club will naturally move to nonaromatics as the choices are so vast. I read somewhere that Captain Black is the biggest seller in the U.S. hard to believe if you go by our tastes on here. 1Q is the largest selling bulk blend. I'm not putting either one down as I enjoy both on occasion.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Dunhill London Mixture and GLP Westminster should be added to the fine ones listed by others. 3 Oaks Syrian is a tasty blend if you want to experience Syrian latakia.

will46r

Might Stick Around
Mar 6, 2015
Captain Black is my standby "out of baccy waiting for the mailman" blend. It's available locally and way cheaper than the $4/oz or more my local B&M charges for bulk blends.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
Davet, I've read many tales over the last three years here of guys who went the same route I did. If I didn't find and join this site I never would have learned about the vast array of fine tobaccos out there. I would have just stayed with a few lat blends and never would touch aros again. The whole reason I left aros for lat blends was the goop and poor flavor from those aros. Virginia Cream is the first aro I'm now stocking. Never thought I'd ever say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.