PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Yesterday while I was at the tobacconist, One of the things I picked up was a sample of Dunhill 965.
So last night I smoked 3 bowls of 965 over about a 5-6 hour period. Although 965 is much stronger tobacco then I normally smoke, I actually quite enjoyed it, and all was right with the world.
This morning I wake up and inside of my bottom lip is burnt, tongue burnt, roof of mouth burnt! I had no indication I was getting bit by this tobacco while I was smoking it. I have had tongue bite before but not like this and usually you can feel it when it happens
Anyone else ever have this next day problem?

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
You didn't get "bit" you got "burnt".
Tongue bite is a chemical reaction that stings your tongue and/or mouth while you're smoking it (hot or cool). Since you said you enjoyed all 3 bowls I don't think it bit at all for you.
Now in my experience my mouth and tongue are fine after 3 bowls a day spread apart. The constant warm air coming from the pipe will do damage to your mouth depending on how hot the air is.
When the ember gets closer to the bottom usually the air coming through the shank and stem will get warmer because the air has less time to cool and less distance to travel through coller surroundings.
Relighting the bottom of the bowl will often yield very hot air as well.
Your limit with your current smoking technique right now sounds about 1-2 bowls back to back. If you want to be able to smoke more you'll have to smoke slower. Just barely keeping the ember alive is the key, and damn hard for some of us to do.
I'm still working on it...

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ya mate, I also smoke many bowls back to back. My worst time is from 10:00 pm and on. Your mouth, and especially the roof of your mouth is extremely dried out as well. Biotene is a great choice for you now. I do find some baccy's(especially even light english) will dry my mouth out and even cause roughness on the roof of my mouth.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I find that a glass or two of water (sipped not chugged) after a pipe does great things for your mouth and helps with pipe breath if that's a concern for you.

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
Can't say I've ever had that happen. I've burnt myself before, when I first started, but I knew I was in for it during that bowl. Sorry bout your mishap though! Makes it not worth smoking for a few days.

jvandy77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
@Spartan, So if tongue-bite is a chemical reaction, then there will some tobaccos that will inevitably bite, no matter the dry time or the pace it is smoked at?? Thanks
-Jim

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Thanks guys....geees after all these years I have not had this happen before. But the way you all have described burning, it sounds like your correct and that is what I did without even knowing it until next day. We never stop learning eh.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I have experienced it mildly, yet I don't usually (ever) smoke three bowls of 965 in a short span of time like that :D

Can't say I never will do that but as of right now I have yet to accomplish such a feat.

cumberland

Lurker
May 10, 2012
If your mouth is burnt, I'd refrain from smoking a couple of days to have your gums recover... smoking with sore gums can't be healthy.
Hoping for a speedy recovery!

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
So if tongue-bite is a chemical reaction, then there will some tobaccos that will inevitably bite, no matter the dry time or the pace it is smoked at??

Yup. Just about all of the straight Virginia or Virginia-heavy blends by Mac Baren bite me. I can dry them out, sip ever so lightly to no avail. I've stopped buying them. Everyone is different and the chemicals in the smoke (natural or otherwise) will affect people differently. Some Nic-heavy blends that send the room spinning for some don't do anything to me, but others (that have no such reputation), I damn-near wretch my guts out... I find that having a cool beverage can help some, but it's not a fix-all...
-Jason

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I am in the same boat as you are lordnoble. I like the taste of VA's, but I cannot smoke them. I mostly smoke the nic hits and Drum. I do mix some milder VA's when I layer though, that way I can at least partake in a small way

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
(sorry in advance for any possible hijack)
So for those of you who can't smoke many VA's due to the bite... does it matter if the VA has been aged?
So if a blend bites.... you jar it up for a year or so... does the bite lessen with time while the tobacco undergoes it own chem reactions?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Just so happens my newest merchandizing ripoff product, endorsed by PipesMagazine, will come in handy for you...

FireExtinguisher2.jpg

I'm working a deal to bundle pocket-sized versions with 1lb. purchases of Virginia #1.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
@cortezattic... :rofl:
@Spartan....no worries, that's what these forums are for to share and learn.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I'm not sure if the bite lessens over time, mostly because I usually trade or gift the Mac Baren blends that bite...
-Jason

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
I am very suspicious that burleys burn me. A straight virginia I know will do this to me. Had to lay off the pipe (sad) for a couple of days after smoking English Oriental, which I think has Mexican Burley in it. I guess I will either lay it up for a while or use it sparingly for a blending baccy. Ah the quest. :puffy:

misterjudge

Lurker
May 26, 2012
Same thing just happened to me. First try of a new blend, after a couple cocktails no bite, smoked wonderfully, so packed another bowl or two. Next day, such pain...whole mouth and front of throat. Going on third day now,its getting better slowly, but I finally broke down and went to Walgreens to buy some Anbesol, it is a great help.

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
My "family recipe": When you have smoked too much, or think that you burnt your mouth with the pipe, do not brush your teeth, or use any toothpaste or salt, or any bactericide. Before going to bed, clean the mouth rinsing and gargling with plain cold water. Once done, rinse and gargle with milk. Be sure to coat all the inside of the mouth with milk and don't clean afterwards.
Nothing is going to happen for not brushing the teeth one night, and the following morning your breath stinks like something died in your mouth! But the fat of the milk, heals almost completely the mouth burns, in just one night.
P.S. Of course, brush well the mouth the following morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.