Mouse Chewed Dunhill Repair + Dunhil and Savenilli restain. PIC HEAVY.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

damnyak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2012
Northern, Ontario. Canada
OKay So I posted looking for help dating two Dunhills I picked up for $10 a piece. One was chewed by a mouse (expensive taste), the second looked as if it had sat in some water for some time, There also was a Savinelli Punto ORO in there with the same water damage.
So starting with the Water damaged pipes I tried cleaning with some alcohol, No dice...so I busted out some leather dye and gave them a quick brush..Turned out nice, polished them up and buffed the Stems, They turned out amazing.
The Dunhill with the teeth damage was a different story, looked like someone took a bite out of the side like a apple. So I pulled out the dremel, and put a small grinding tip on and just tried my best to bring the bottom chunk and side to look like the rest, I have never built a pipe before, so I though what the heck...I mixed a bit of brown and black leather dye to make a "dark brown" just used a q-tip to put it where I dremeled and the polished it to a shine same with the mouthpiece. Turned out great I think, sure its not perfectly balanced, but for $10 I'll take it.
Below are some pics of the process of the mouse chewed pipe and the finished other two. Enjoy.
1ChewBot.jpg

2Chewside.jpg

3Dremeledside.jpg

4Dremeled2.jpg

5drembot.jpg

6dyed1.jpg

7dyed2.jpg

8dyed3.jpg

9finished.jpg

10finclose.jpg

11finfront.jpg

12finbot.jpg

13fin.jpg

14finsav.jpg

15findun2.jpg

wolfie90

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2012
Huntington wv
Amazing job on the mouse damage, my only worry would be if the thinning of the wood could cause damage to the pipe like a burnout?

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Good Job, Now I know where to send my gnawed mice pipe to!!
I'm always trying to think outside the box, when I come upon a bad pipe, i always take a few minutes to think, can I save it? what will be needed to get it back into smoking condition, but for 10 bucks...what the heck!!!
Have you smoked the chewed pipe yet? I'm wondering if it gets hot where the mice chewed at??

damnyak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2012
Northern, Ontario. Canada
Thanks for the kind words everyone, So I went for a hike today, 13*C out, and stuffed it with some Autumn Evening, and the side that was chewed did not get any warmer than the other "good" side, and for the test I puffed hard.
Success!

Status
Not open for further replies.