PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdstansel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Are there any race fans on here? If so, what is your favorite type of racing? Favorite facility?
I've always been a car guy, grew up watching Indy cars and recall the infamous Daytona broadcast in '79. After living in the UK for 3 yrs my now fav type is Rally racing but TV coverage in the states is not that great. I do enjoy the Isle of Man TT, as well. For years we lived relatively close (in Tejas terms) to Texas Motorspeedway in Denton county. From 1999 thru the 2003 season we didn't miss an event there, Indy, Trucks, NA$CAR, etc. My days of attending NA$CAR races are over but since I have a personal friend, that I've known since 1985, now driving an NHRA Nitro Funny Car, we still hit at least one drag race national event per year. I've met a ton of my childhood heroes and had the pleasure of visiting with them, A.J. Foyt, Don Prudohme, did a track walk around TMS with King Richard Petty.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I watch Formula 1 and MotoGP. I lost interest in Indy car a few years ago, during their squabbles. Now, that series is too much like a spec-race. I also enjoyed World Rally, when it was shown on ESPN here. I did go to the Baltimore Indy race last year, because it was so close. Sick this year, so I missed it.
I do hope the NYC F1 race gets put on the schedule (big maybe for 2013). We'll definitely attend that race. My brother and I have been to Indy a few times, till that one was pulled due to F1 schenanigans...
I live near Summit Point WV (DC area track) and get there occasionally. I love to watch the vintage race series (SVRA, etc.) Been to Watkins Glen a few times for their vintage event as well.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I like vintage motorcycle racing and history. My favorite track is the Mid Ohio Sports Car Course. I've never rode my motorbike on this track but I pedalled around it for a couple hours.
bentmike rides Mid-Ohio

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I grew up in Indy, been going to Indy 500 qualifying for 30+ years, also go to the U.S. Nationals Drag Race every year since the late 70's. My dad was a sportsman racer when I was a kid, so I've been around drag racing my whole life.
P.S. 1000 ft. SUCKS! Drag Racing is 1/4 Mile.

sinister

Might Stick Around
Oct 3, 2012
Central FL
I live about 15 minutes away from Daytona International Speedway.
I own a GMC Syclone and have owned quite a few GMC Typhoons and Sonoma GT. For those unfamiliar, produced in 91-93 only, AWD, turbo/intercooled v6. One of the fastest production trucks produced (mid-low 13 sec quarter mile in stock form) and rare. Ive owned my Syclone going on 15 years.
I used to streetrace a lot since most everyone has no clue what the truck is. Nothing better than taking down Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes with a 91 pickup truck. I would take it to the track occasionally, but mainly during shows or events. Ive more recently gotten into autocross racing with the Syclone which is quite fun due to the lack of pickup trucks that do it, especially in the Syclone/Typhoon community.....so Im basically at the forefront of learning and educating other owners on the limitations and capabilities of our trucks. I am probably 1 of about 5 people who actively race within my truck community. Trucks arent made to turn so the local SCCA and racers love seeing me come out and throw the truck around the course, especially since most have never seen a Syclone in person, let alone watch someone take a rare vehicle and drive the wheels off it. My truck is far from stock anymore and have been continually modifying it to specifically run autoX.
Here's some shots of me racing:
7153000923_590ab22704.jpg

Daytona Infield Course
6892038944_2fe78b7b93.jpg

7537367358_feca7d8f5a.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I love the Syclone, I bet that does ruffle some feathers. I had a Nissan NX2000 and Pontiac Formula that saw a mix of autocross/track day and drag strip action. Just sold our 96 Impala SS that was fun to beat stock Mustangs with on the strip. Took that one around the track at Watkins Glen when it was new. Moved to motorcycles and dont have a performance car at the moment (79 MGB; old mans sports car....).

sinister

Might Stick Around
Oct 3, 2012
Central FL
I love the Syclone, I bet that does ruffle some feathers.
Ive broken many hearts on the street and strip with it. People often have called me out as a liar thinking I have a S/C 350 under the hood to which they become really embarrassed when I pop the hood and show them a little 4.3 V6 :nana:
I also used to have a 65 GMC longbed with a 305E V6 and 3 on the floor (still regret selling it), and currently own a 2012 Camaro 45th Edition. Ive owned 3 GMC Typhoons, 1 Sonoma GT as well...amongst a slew of other vehicles.
Forgot to mention, I do enjoy GT racing. Being spoiled with Daytona next door, going to see the 24 hours of Daytona is always a good time....getting a pit pass is even better!

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Kart racing for my son and I. These were our previous karts:

Mag20Covers0002.jpg

Nick before a race at Virginia International Raceway.

P1030796.jpg

Replaced the red kart with a sit up which is getting converted this month back to a 125 Shifter kart.

P1040147.jpg

Traded the yellow kart in on this 125 Shifter Kart too.

B4D0BB5F-1C37-4406-BF04-783BC7687850-513-000001EEB635A6E5.jpg

Recently did the Mario Andretti Indy Car Experience at Charlotte Motor Speedway. You only get 4 laps and also have a pesky 5K rpm limiter, but still managed to get to 152.89 MPH

P1040048.jpg

Also did the NASCAR Ride-A-Long last weekend, but it's still tank racing, big heavy ass cars....boring. 170 MPH in one of them was like 100 in the Indy Car. Hard to beat the open cockpit. After a couple of years of shifter kart racing, then I want to get a formula style car that has a GSXR 1000 motor in it, which is becoming popular now. That has to be a blast.
Had 15 motorcycles through the years, none now, but want another woods bike, and a Kawasaki ZXR1200 one of these days.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
i like F1, Le Mans, and moto gp, touring car racing, rally (group B), drifting and time attacks. But i like to watch any kind of motorsprot racing. Drag racing and nascar isn't really my style, but i have respect for all levels of motosport racing.

bdstansel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Thanks for all the interesting replies! Man those Super Karts look like a blast! Lovin' that GMC truck too. I have a 2000 Sonoma with the ZQ8 suspension package but unfortunately it has the 2.2L 4-cyl engine. I'd love to drop a small block in there!
Anyway we made it back from a COLD and WET race weekend in Reading, PA...brought back a few souvies and the frickin' flu. My long-time friend did much better, he left Maple Grove with the Nitro Funny Car championship points lead AND the National Elapsed Time and Speed records. I've known this fella since early 1985...almost lost him to cancer a few years back (same thing that took his mother at age 47) but after chemo he is in remission and cancer-free for 5+ years now. Two races left in the season, this may be his year.
jack-and-bruce-reading-450x600.jpg

bdstansel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Yes, Nitro fumes...closest thing to CS/Tear Gas that I have experienced. The drivers and some of the crew wear gas masks when doing engine runs in the pits. What I love most about NHRA is the more grass roots feel about it. Every ticket is a pit pass and there is much interaction with teams/crews/drivers. Oh and when two Nirto fuel cars make a full pass it shakes everything like an earthquake...you can FEEL it in your core. Tickets are relatively inexpensive, just get some general admission seats we rarely use our seats just walk around and visit with my bud between rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.