PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My wife and I have been married for a year and a half, and have been together for almost 9 years. Her wonderful mother and I have always had a great relationship. Even when it was something that I did that irritated her or whatever, she still would just yell at my wife instead. :) good lady.
She just recently quit smoking cigarettes, a long with the husband. It had gotten to the point that even the mere smell of smoke near here makes her sick to her stomach. She has given me serious looks and comments if i walk up to her with a cigarette now a days.
Anyways, my birthday was in July. She ended up getting me a t shirt with Einstein smoking a pipe, and also a very nice leather roll up for my tobacco. She got the roll up from an estate sale.

It's not just that she got me something, it's the fact that she was genuinely thinking about me . I was truly shocked and in awe. I made sure that I made it very clear, that pipe and tobacco paraphernalia was the greatest gift option! :) I was touched by this very small gift from them.
I owe her something great come Halloween (Her birthday)
I've been slacking on posting, but pictures to come soon!

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Admiral-Ackbar-Its-A-Trap.jpg.9d3969f6562f31a3ead18f072a5498d3.jpg

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Haha, that's awesome! Care to elaborate?
Few month ago she said that a man of my statue (6'4", 300 lb and a beard) looks ridiculous with a cigarette, and a pipe will be more suitable

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good point about gift giving. A modest gift that is carefully chosen to appeal to a person's interests always beats a more elaborate/expensive gift that only reflects the giver. When a gift day is coming up, and my wife admires something in passing, I will jump on it to buy it for her; I'd much rather get her something she really wants and blow the surprise than try to come up with something she may or may not like.
My late wife's mom was quite a turbulent personality; as her nephew put it, a human wrecking ball. But for some reason she always treated me kindly. A mystery of life, a gift from the Goodly Power (Ben Franklin's name for the Diety).

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Few month ago she said that a man of my statue (6'4", 300 lb and a beard) looks ridiculous with a cigarette, and a pipe will be more suitable
LOL sounds like a good woman.

I happen to actually like my mother in law. She hated me at first, but then my wifes sisters started getting married off and she finally realized that I was the good son in law compared to the other D-Bags.

predator

Lurker
Mar 12, 2016
My relationship hasn't been the best with my wifes Mom in the past few years. Here recently it has improved by a huge amount. The other day she sent my wife home with 2 of my Mother in Laws Grandpa's pipes. I was very excited to get them as you could imagine. I now have a Willard (one with the stinger in the stem, and a very old Dr. Grabow also with a stinger in it). I cleaned both of them up and they are beautiful. My wife never had the chance to meet her Great Grandpa, but she is thrilled that I have 2 of his pipes displayed on my pipe rack. Been a great week

I happen to actually like my mother in law. She hated me at first, but then my wifes sisters started getting married off and she finally realized that I was the good son in law compared to the other D-Bags.
Yes that is very "funny". My wife is the oldest of three girls. When we dated, I had to have her back home at 9:00 pm. By the time her youngest sister started dating, they were pushing her out the door in pumps and nighty!
It's almost too bad that your mother-in-law is nice to you. Most guys would give their right arm, or at least a used Peterson, to have their outlaw’s birthday on Halloween. Then they could give her the proverbial broom as a present!

Status
Not open for further replies.