PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Gotta be Sherlock. Unless it's limited to real people...then it's really hard to say anymore, but I'd probably choose Tolkien.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I think it could be different people depending on who was famous at a particular point in time.Three that come to mind.Mark Twain,Bing Crosby,and Hugh Hefner.There are many more.Some I can't remember,some I can remember but I can't spell their names.Those of us who lived in Michigan some time back remember Jerry Ford

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
In order:
Santa Claus

Frosty the Snowman

General MacArthur

Bing Crosby

Hugh Hefner

Mark Twain

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Ditto Tommy, and I'd add Einstein.

But lots of notables have smoked a pipe in the past; we just don't realize how common it was.

tarzan7.jpg

See close-up pics of the pipe.

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
Among the "young" generations I think Hans Landa in Inglorious Bastards is a familiar face as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUcCacgMtCw

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
Didn't the pictures of Santa Claus always used to have him smoking a pipe?
Also, while they may not be widely known for being pipe smokers, John Adams and Robert E. Lee always come to my mind when I think of pipe smokers. I know there are several pipe smokers in our nations history, I'm not really sure why those two specifically stand out.

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
You guys forgot Lawrence's favorite Lee Van Cleef, there is hardly a movie in which he is not smoking a pipe...

punkpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2011
Going a little more left field, I'd have to say Subcomandante Marcos. well known in the right circles. or left, as the case may be.

julesholling

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2011
Sutton, Surrey
Fictional has probably got to be Sherlock Holmes, real life i'm not sure. There are quite a few famous people often pictured with pipes but the most famous that popped into my head would have to be Einstein.

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
"Going a little more left field..."

I see what you did there. lol
Che was also a pipe smoker, and IIRC Stalin as well.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Well, with Einstein on the list, Robert Oppenheimer should probably get notable mention; he did have a pipe in just about every photograph taken of him. I would say Hef is probably the celeb most known for his pipe; it (in combination with his trademark slippers and smoking jacket) have become as much of a symbol for Playboy as the bunny.
Edit to add: King George - he's pretty famous!

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Poor old Oppenheimer was a chain-smoker deluxe! At least according to a great bio-film I watched the other night.

Status
Not open for further replies.