Most English blends I have smoked taste the same..

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcluvinmypipe

Lurker
May 8, 2014
I really enjoy a good pipe smoke.I am relatively new and still exploring.So far I have tried about 4 english blends,I am not sure if all of these are english here goes,#1dunhill nightcap,#2frog morton celler,#3frog morton on the bayou,#4Virginia woods.I have noticed that the first three smell and almost taste the same campfirey,vinagery sutly sweet,Virginia woods to me does not have much taste to it,it does kind of smell like cloves.I have to say my pick out of these is On the bayou it is a sweet rich smoke,cool not tongue scorching hot.I tried a few aros but they burned a little too hot for me.I really like Virginia tobacco,Orlik golden sliced and Dunhill royal yacht are a good morning smoke for me.Could someone that has tried elizebethen mixture tell me what they think about it or recommend a rich sweet very strong english,I heard that artisans blend is good to what are some good strong englishes a little different from the rest?cool smoking a plus.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm confused where your discussion of English blends ends in your post. (By the way, welcome to Forums! I hope you find it

useful and informative. Lots of good information here, although it doesn't necessarily come from me.) I think the Frog Morton

blends are thought of as transitional, between English and aromatic. English blends usually have a base of Virginia with some

Latakia, and sometimes Perique. When you've tried several, and over time, you will find out they are not at all alike. Two good

ones, Dunhill My Mixture 965, and Nat Sherman 536, just to take two for example, are quite different, with 965 being strong and

edgy, and 536 being more refined and maybe more complex. Dunhill's Nightcap has both Latakia and Perique and considerable

nicotine, and is stronger than either of the other two. So lots of differences to try, and to learn about. Happy smoking.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
To make an analogy to the original post:
To some people all red wines taste the same.
To some people all whiskey, scotch, and bourbon taste the same.
To some people all beer taste the same.
to some people all cola sodas taste the same.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
The key is to keep smoking them. In time the differences will become more pronounced and you will learn which differences appeal to you and which do not. In such, you will find which blends are right for you and you will likely find ones you cannot stand.
When it comes to aro's you need to approach them differently if they are burning too hot for you. Generally, they may need a bit of drying time before being packed into the bowl. Personally, in the case of aro's, I only light the center and smoke very slowly. Better to relight then puff it up into an ember.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Mcluvin,
Elizabethan Mixture is a VaPer, I believe ... not an English blend.
If you shop with P&C, toss in a couple of H&H blends in your order:
H&H Magnum Opus, BlackHouse, and WhiteKnight are all good.
... actually so are Ambassador's blend, Beverwyck, Sunjammer ... yea, I'm a fan! :)

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
When you first start to explore English mixtures the Latakia is sort of like an assault on your palette and takes over the entire experience. It is a very distinct and dominant flavor and aroma that takes time to get used to. I hear this quite often from people just starting to explore this style of blend. To them, all English blends taste the same because all they are tasting and smelling is Latakia. Give it some time and you will eventually begin to pick out other nuances instead of just the Smokey, musty, leathery nature of the Latakia.
There is a ton of varying flavor profiles among different English blends - but it definitely takes some time to acclimate yourself. Also....some people have more sensitive palettes then others and Latakia is definitely NOT a subtle leaf.
Once you adjust to the style then you will be able to appreciate the the subtle differences between the blends and the different types of VA's and Orientals used.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
I do like to suggest smoke one blend for a while like a week or so.

And then move to other blend. You will notice what is different between.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
It takes time and experience. The smokiness you taste is from the latakia. FMotB and Nightcap both have perique. Virginia Woods is not an English blend; it is a Virginia blend. These require an experienced palate. :puffy:

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
+1 to GoldSM, that's a very good tip.
Last month I smoked 965 exclusively on a week-long vacation. When I came back I smoked a bowl of Nightcap - the differences were profound and obvious because I'd conditioned my palate for that week and gotten to "know" 965 better.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
As some others have said, it takes time with the pipe and with a blend before you can hone in on the unique qualities and really appreciate what it is you're tasting and smelling.
The OP doesn't say how much time he spent with his blends that "taste the same." But you won't begin to get the flavors of a blend until you've had at least three bowls in the same pipe. I don't begin to think of how I'll review a blend in my personal tobacco journal until I've smoked at least an ounce/half a tin and tried the blend in a variety of pipes. There are so many variables involved in truly tasting and enjoying a smoke, that I need at least that many bowls just to get an "average" impression.
The OP also mentions being "relatively new" to pipe smoking. Your palate will develop as you learn what each of the constituent tobaccos tastes like. Right now, it kind of sounds like you're being overwhelmed by the presence of latakia. But that will fade over time as you learn to taste Virginias and pick out various orientals and perique.
I guess my basic advice at this point would be to slow down and focus a bit more. Live with a blend for a while and really get to know it. Then move on to the next one. I think things will make much more sense if you work your way blend-by-blend for a while and avoid constantly switching back and forth.
Bob

swmalone

Lurker
May 21, 2014
I am new to pipe smoking and had been smoking aromatics that are found at the local smoke shops in Utah. I was fortunate enough to visit a Pipe and Cigar shop in Idaho and they suggested Frog Morton on the Bayou. I have been really enjoying this one. When I first tried it the spiciness of the smoke was a very pleasant surprise. I hope to have the opportunity to try other English blends soon.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
swmalone:
That "spiciness" you're experience in FMOTB is due to the perique in the blend. Perique is not a standard ingredient in most English mixtures -- which means that that spiciness is not standard in English mixtures. So if you'd like to pursue that, you'll need to look for blends that specifically mention perique. Dunhill's Nightcap is one very popular English that includes a good dose of perique. And then there is a whole genre of non-aromatic blends that feature Virginias and perique (often called "VA/Per"s; just don't go to a tobacco shop and ask for "VA/Pers" or you'll get e-cigarettes!).
I'll also just mention that the Frog series includes sweetened latakia. So if you try any other English blend, you likely won't get the same measure of sweetness that you'll find in the Frogs.
To get a good idea of what a "standard" English tastes like -- minus the perique and sweetened latakia -- I'd recommend GLPease's Westminster, Dunhill Standard Mixture, and Dan Tobacco's London Blend #1000.
Bob

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Teasing out the subtle differences between related blends takes time and experience. As noted by others, Latakia is not a particularly subtle leaf - the smokiness is front and center, and has a tendency to take over the flavor profile. Once you've gotten used to it, you start to recognize the other flavors - it's not quite as though you can "tune out" the Latakia, but when you know what to expect from it, you can figure out what else is going on as you smoke more.
I posted recently on my cross-comparison of Frog Morton Original vs. Frog Morton Across the Pond as an example of how palates can adjust over time. When I first started smoking English blends, I couldn't distinguish one from the other at first, either. It's taken me about a year of relatively infrequent smoking, but about 6 months ago, I finally started being able to distinguish other flavors in the Latakia-heavy blends that I bought samples of early on. Now that I have that baseline, it's easier to taste the differences between blends.
If you like Latakia and you like English blends but just can't quite distinguish between them, don't worry about it and keep smoking them - once you've gone through a few tins, it will come to you. I started off with several of Hearth & Home's English blends - Daybreak, House of Lords, Victorian Stroll - and a tin of Black House, which was a revelation to me...

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
An excellent thread!
If a ratings scale were present with the least amount of experience being labeled as "total noob" and it progresses to the most amount of pipe and tobacco experience, let's label them,"Old Asbestos Tongue" I'd fall somewhere close to the middle and favoring the noob side of the scale.
With that out of the way I'd have to say that the advice given above is some of the best I've ever read and I only wish that priceless knowledge was available to me when I began my pipe smoking odyssey.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
With that out of the way I'd have to say that the advice given above is some of the best I've ever read and I only wish that priceless knowledge was available to me when I began my pipe smoking odyssey
+1

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The constant in English blends is the latakia; other than that, there is a wide range of tobaccos used, and used in different proportions. My palate tells me about all these variables, and it pronounces English blends as very different.

Status
Not open for further replies.