PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I have been thinking about giving a morta pipe a try. If any of you have one or had any experience with one I would appreciate getting your opinion on them. Pro and cons, of course.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hi there. I don't have a morta pipe, yet, so I'm sharing opinions expressed by others.... Given the other threads I've read, here and on other forums, the general consensus is that morta makes for great pipes. Most report that morta doesn't ghost, that it's denser than briar, and that during break-in it can add a slightly peaty/smoky note to the smoke.
I hope that helps.
-- Pat

Jan 8, 2013
I haven't tried one yet, but it is on my to do list for sure. They are beautiful pipes. There are a few threads floating around here about morta pipes, try entering morta into the search bar, that should help you gather some solid info.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Thanks for your help. I have gathered that making a morta pipe takes some specialization. It isn't quite the same as using briar. Hence, our US artisans don't really get into it. Morta is probably more an object of curiousity than anything among us pipers.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I only have one but I love it. One of the pros & cons is really the same - for the first several smokes, it will add a distinct creosote-like flavor to the smoke. It compliments a latakia blend well but tastes strange with something else. After 5-10 bowls, it faded away for me and it's closest to a meerschaum now. It's pretty neutral without a cake (and you don't want one to build up). The material heats and cools quickly so it can feel a little hotter to the touch but the smoke itself stays cool.
It's an interesting material but I wouldn't say it's better than meer or briar. The blasted ones look amazing. I'm not as impressed with the smooth ones.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Anyone interested in morta pipes should definitely check out the Radio Show episode where Brian interviewed Nate King, a pipe maker who works with morta: http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/radio-talk-show/the-pipes-magazine-radio-show-episode-74/.
Bob

May 31, 2012
Ub4xiuS.jpg

Trever Talbert has made quite a few mortas...

http://www.talbertpipes.pair.com/
Russ Cook makes some pipes with "Michigan Morta" (fossilized oak)...

http://pipesbyrusscook.com/portfolio.html
Here's an American morta available right now;

http://www.thepiperack.com/unsmoked-pipe-royal-oak-briars-morta-huntsman-fat-apple/
...and a Mark Tinsky morta:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/mark-tinsky/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=143229
There's probably many more examples out there...
...and here's a few good informative threads:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/davorin-morta-pipe

:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/moretti-morta

:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/bog-morta

:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/tinsky-morta-first-smoke

:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/morta-bog-oak-and-economics

:

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I'll let you know after I receive my Chris Askwith pipe, which I purchased last week from Dave Neeb at MKELAW Pipes. :puffy:

jogilli

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2013
I like them personally.. they smoke great, dry out nicely after your smoke and are light...
james

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I searched for this posting but cannot find it so I'm trying to reproduce it again.
Since I own seven Morta Pipes I thought it would be a good idea to discuss a bit about what Morta is, how it differs to briar, both as a base for a pipe and smoking wise.
So what exactly is Morta? Morta, or Bog Oak. comes from dead Oak trees which have fallen into a bog, or similar environment, and have spent anywhere from 1000-10,000 years in the soup of the bog which gives the Morta its distinct coloration. The colors recognized are from blue grey over green grey to deep black, there are also brown and copper colored and a combination of grey, brown and black, very few are red or blue which I have not seen a pipe made with as yet but there probably will be at some point.
Bog Oak stands for Fossil European Oak or Sessile Oak, which have lain in bog for centuries. Stored in bog, the tannic acid of the wood reacts with the marsh gases of the bog, whereby such wood changes its color extremely. Understand the closer it becomes to fossilization the blacker it gets as it will turn to coal if given enough time to fossilize.
What I have learned through reading is that Bog Oak is available throughout Europe with Croatia, Ireland, England, Germany and Italy being the major sources, I'm sure there are more but these are the ones I see most of the Morta pipe makers make reference to. Recently Morta from Lake Michigan has surfaced and while not being a bog the conditions are similar in what happens to the wood and will be interesting to see if any more pipes are made from it then the one I saw that sold quickly, it was darker than the copper Morta yet lighter than the brown Morta I have seen.
So how does Morta differ from briar, Meerschaum, clay, corn cobs and even rock pipes? Well simply put Morta like Meerschaum, clay and rock pipes (pipe stone or soapstone) smoke neutral, i.e. one gets a purer sense on the palate, and the snork, of the tobacco than one gets from a briar or a cob. Morta can smoke much hotter than the others as well but setting it down finds it cools much quicker as well. It's light and generally the pipes made from it are much larger than their briar counterparts and the bowls much smaller as well since they do smoke hotter but have the ability to be smoked again as soon as they are cool enough with no issue so they make a great companion if one were traveling and could only bring 1 or 2 pipes.
Now that we've gone through a bit of the history of Morta and how it differentiates between some of the more common vessels used for pipe bowls let's see how different Morta pipes smoke against the others in my collection. For the purpose of the Smoke Off I did not smoke anything other than Anniversary Kake or a light VA in other pipes over the two days it took to complete this and I did it with the outside temperature being relatively equal except for the first smoke which ended up being a rather windy period.
The seven pipes I smoked were smoked using 6 y/o Anniversary Kake from the same jar housed in the same pouch so as to not taint the outcome:
A Chris Askwith Rhodesian, from England, with Olivewood Cap and white stem was the first pipe smoked and here is a photo and the results.
8724046728_012b00d801_o.jpg

The smoke in the Askwith Rhodesian took 45 minutes with mostly white pillow like puffs the first 1/2 of the bowl with a nice mild and cool smoking experience. From the second half of the bowl on there was decidedly more spiciness to the smoke yet still cool and the smoke thinned a bit to a blueish grey with the admittance of Perique was there in the background. The smoke ended w/o the need to relight simply the char light was sufficient and a mere few shards of moist dottle and moisture were found after it had gone out. Clearing the dottle with a pick was quick and what moisture that was observed in the bottom of the bowl dissipated within 30 seconds, an excellent smoke and a quick run through with the pipe cleaner produced a very light tan coating with no moisture.
A Davorin Denovic, from Croatia, Rustic Freehand Bent with Field Maple end cap.
The Denovic finished its smoke in 40 minutes with mostly medium billows of blueish grey smoke throughout the entire bowl, like the previous smoker it needed no further lighting after the initial one. The first 1/3 was a lovely taste of VA and migrated toward some spiciness into the next 1/3 with a dominant taste of Perique which lasted about 5 minutes into the last 1/3 then settled down into a lovely combination of spice and great tobacco flavors. The finish was met with clean grey ash and minimal moisture in the bowl which dissipated in 15 seconds. A pipe cleaner ran through came out a medium brown with no moisture.
8749865387_8e4c677116_c.jpg

A Moretti Freehand Rusticated, from Italy, with Bone colored end cap.
The Moretti smoked in 40 minutes with large billowy puffs of whitish grey smoke throughout and required only the initial lighting. The first 1/3 of the bowl was soft and luscious VA then notes of cinnamon crept in with the palate experience being like a wonderfully deep red burgundy and the snork sense continuing to cinnamon and developing to toasted nutmeg. Spiciness abundant in the next 1/3 with a deeper palate of dark red burgundy continuing through the second 1/3 of the bowl. The final 1/3 of the bowl was a dance of flavors from the spice to the wine then mellowing to just a delicious tobacco ending with a whitish grey ash with no dottle nor moisture in the bowl, a swipe with the pipe cleaner revealed a deeper tan color with no moisture.
8751290892_feb4b32edb_c.jpg

A Tom Richard, from Germany, Rusticated Freehand with Boxwood end cap and Cumberland Stem.
The Richard smoked in 43 minutes with a light blue hue to white billows of smoke also required no lighting after initial. The taste of VA was predominate with the warmth of honey on the palate, the snork was true VA. It wasn't until the last 1/4 of the bowl did any hint of spice begin and it did not strengthen but continued to the end of the bowl which was left with no dottle just a clean whitish grey ash. Once the ash was removed there was nothing there but the bottom of the bowl and it was free of moisture, a quick run with a pipe cleaner gave a tan color and no moisture.
8750588839_0fdfef692c_c.jpg

A Chris Askwith, I believe a Freehand Volcano Sitter but hopeful Chris will set that straight if he reads this, from England, with Mastodon Ivory end cap and White Stem.
The second Askwith smoked in 38 minutes with a light grey medium smoke, again no lighting beyond initial. The taste of VA was present and turned to a note of Fig on the palate with cinnamon in snork, eased its way into spicy which it finished with leaving a white grey ash, no dottle nor moisture evident in the bowl, the color of the pipe cleaner inserted and removed was light tan with no moisture.
8751013117_e767bbf5da_c.jpg

A Paulo Becker Maya Shape, from Italy, as Paulo puts it the name comes from "Maya desnuda" by Goya, with Chocolate colored stem and Smoky swirls.
The Becker smoked in 40 minutes with a medium grey smoke throughout with no lighting past the initial. The taste of VA was present after the first tamp and through to the middle of the bowl where some hints of cinnamon and other spices began then leveled off to spice on the palate and the snork and finishing with no dottle nor moisture in the bowl, a pipe cleaner ran through left residuals of dark and tan but no moisture.
8753342119_e5d061364e_c.jpg

A Radice Chubby Morta AEROBilliard, from Italy, in collaboration with Luca di Piazza.
The AEROBilliard smoked in 35 minutes with no lighting beyond the initial, with huge puffy pillows of whitish grey smoke until the first tamp where it settled down to medium grey puffs. The initial note was cool and mild and the VA made its presence known on the palate and the snork. The palate note quickly changed to a rich red burgundy feel and the snork picked up hints of Cardamom and other spiciness. The wine note stayed the course on the palate with playful meanderings of VA, spice and pure tobacco on the snork with the final few minutes being wine, wine and more wine on the palate and the snork. There was no dottle nor moisture and a pipe cleaner picked up the lightest trace of coloring with no moisture.
8754766954_25796db91d_c.jpg

Well as you can see my experience differed some from pipe to pipe but not one of them was less than an outstanding smoke. I hope you found this helpful if a Morta pipe is something you've been thinking about and will happily answer any questions that I can, I've added a third Chris Askwith Morta, a Cutty shape, a Don shape by Trevor Talbert and Rad Davis made me a canted Tomato with black bamboo shank and amber stem. I love smoking all of them, thanks for reading.
9270755578_7c6a0d636e_b.jpg

11484175753_bbb927e480_c.jpg

11409338705_2aee951f5b_z.jpg

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Like a Meerschaum you should not allow cake, I understand a tiny amount is fine and some have the desire to build it so you do have to watch them. The Talbert I have the bore is a sub group 1 in size, a golf tee barely fits in it so I really watch that one carefully as Kajun Kake tends to cake easily in it and that is what I like smoking in it.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I've had my moretti morta poker with boxwood insert for over a month now and after +/- 15 smokes can say that it is similar to meerschaum and does not offer the sweet taste that briar imparts to the smoke. I don't really dedicate my pipes to any 1 particular blend or type of tobacco, but on the recommendation of others, tried it with a couple different english/latakia blends such as FMC, Black House, and Nightcap. The folks who say that it enhances this type of blend are spot on, as there was a notable smokey/peaty taste imparted in the draw. Just to make sure, i tried the same blend in a briar pipe back to back to see if it was in my mind or really a different sort of taste.
I would recommend getting a morta, as they offer a different smoking experience and look absolutely fantastic as well. Moretti is one of the nicest and friendliest pipe makers i have ever come across. His customer service is second to none and he stands by his work 100%. He even said he would make me a morta AND a briar tamper to go along with the pipe after i received the pipe, and true to his word they are in the mail and i should be receiving them any day now. Look him up on Ebay, you will not be disappointed. He is generous and more than fair when it comes to making offers on the buy it now funcion when available, and that is how i got mine. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND moretti pipes and will definitely be doing business again with him in the future. Hope this helps!

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
All of your comments have been very helpful and very much appreciated. Now finding the right one is another matter!

bambam13

Lurker
Mar 24, 2014
While on the subject of morta, does anyone have experience with the Hanseatic Bog Oak pipe from P&C? It looks like a good morta starting pipe for those of us curious about getting a morta, but I am hesitant on pulling the trigger on this one. Not sure how to post links with an iPad, sorry. Thanks for all the information guys! :)
Cheers!

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Well the Morta country of origin is Germany, which is fine, and the pipe looks good I'm just a bit confused as to why anyone would make a Morta pipe that took a 9mm filter. Obviously if the bore for the filter meets one of the major 9mm filter manufacturers specifications you could purchase one of the drop in converters thus making it a non filter pipe which would then allow the nuances of smoking a Morta pipe come through.
I would classify this as a basket Morta, not trying to downgrade the pipe in any way but the maker is not even mentioned and is why I would give this that classification.
Were I in the market for my first Morta pipe I would check out Moretti Morta Pipes on eBay as he generally has them up for Best Offer and is rather generous in what he'll take as an offer and you'll be guaranteed a first class pipe, just my personal thoughts and observations.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
fishnbanjo,
totally agree, see my post above, i have a Moretti Morta Poker. Marco(shaper for their pipes)is nothing short of an amazing pipe maker and person. He will bend over backwards and do whatever it takes to make sure you are a satisfied customer. Should be receiving my morta and briar tampers he made for me to go along with the pipe any day now. I plan on making a thread and posting pics once i get them.
Check him out on Ebay.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
You're welcome Dawg, I am truly glad you are enjoying it, because it is a stunning pipe. I'm smoking penzance in mine right now and it is delicious. Thanks for posting your review on it.
I think it's about time I gave you some of my PAD though, as it has been hitting my bank account quite hard lately and I have plenty to go around. Don't want to be selfish now do I?! Lol. :nana:

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Hey dawg,

You made a great choice, I was so impressed with the Morta Scottie made I contacted her on making either a Morta or Strawberry Wood Eskimo Shape for me and we went with Strawberry Wood, I'm sure you'll be pleased!

Status
Not open for further replies.