PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pipebuddy

I hear morta and I hear bog oak. Are they the same, i.e. designating fossilised oak? Or do they bear a different name because of linguistic considerations or it depends on the geographical location they were extracted?
Or something else? Thanks for enlightening me on this matter, gents. :)

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I thought bog oak was the basic description of morta...it is important information if someone could clarify so I know whether there are one or two pipes on my 'to get in the future' list

P

pipebuddy

Yes, I'm with you on this. I understand, from my reading, that they seem to be the same; but, then, why give 2 different names to a type of bog wood?

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Is Morta a process as to what happened to the wood, it fell in the water and stayed there a long time? Could this wood be something other than Oak, how about bog Yew? (easy fellas) Just asking as I purchased pieces of wood from the same seller and he labeled them differently.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
They are the same, just as briar is an English corruption of the French "bruyere" meaning "white heath".

P

pipebuddy

Morta sounds sexier and the suppliers can charge more....
It does sound more exotic, doesn't it?
Thanks for your answers, gents!
@jcsnaps: I Googled it. it's fossilised wood and yes, there are other types of wood than oak...See here fore some more details:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bog-wood

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've read the bog oak is reclaimed wood from trees long ensconced in a particular kind of earth that allowed the wood to 'cure' without rotting.

I have known a couple of people who dive the Sawanee river to reclaim old logs from the late 19th century. It's called deadhead logging, and the wood is prized. I don't think, though, that we're talking about the same thing.

I'd say that bog oak or morta? is much older and obviously a different species of wood from the Sawanee's bounty.

Deadhead logging.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I remember seeing a special on the deadhead logging. Evidently, the wood is prized for making musical instruments with.
Used to have a large morta Poker from Radice. Thing was light as a feather but huge chunk of wood so I traded it off. Thinking about having Lonestar make me one after the NASPC show. Morta seems to smoke a little different than briar. Almost like a meerschaum in that there is no impact on the taste. Plus, how can you argue with something that is 5000 - 10,000 years old.

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
@Newbroom That's my understanding as well, being buried in conditions (peat bog) where the wood does not rot. I believe that after a very much longer time than the 5-10k years it takes to become morta, these trees would have ultimately become coal.
It's interesting that there are other bog trees of apparent value as well. I read somewhere that "morta" is most commonly used when referring to pipes. I wonder if all morta pipes are bog oak or if different species of preserved wood could be used?

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Not all Morta is black or 5-10,000 years old. This block was relatively young--

jim-dunne-morta-2-2013-12-05-003-1280x660-600x309.jpg

Pipe made from it--

jim-dunne-morta-2-2013-12-22-001-1280x673-600x315.jpg

The blocks come with a certificate to show that they were radio carbon tested-- in Russian.Can only assume it has been dated. Seller has several different "ages" of blocks,pen blanks and knife scales.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Bog Oak is the English name, Morta as Oldcajun points out is Latin/Spanish etc. Both one and the same. There are other names for it too, Abnos is used in Eastern Europe.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Russ Cook made this one for me and I asked him not to stain it. It is Michigan Morta, I'll leave it at that.

img_1045-600x450.jpg

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Our equivalent wood (not used for pipes though) in New Zealand is 'Swamp Kauri'...probably harder to market products with the word 'swamp' or 'bog' in it...

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Our equivalent wood (not used for pipes though) in New Zealand is 'Swamp Kauri'...probably harder to market products with the word 'swamp' or 'bog' in it...
I bought some Kauri pen blanks a while back and decided to research the trees a little. They can be huge!!

Status
Not open for further replies.