PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
I'm not an every day smoker. And I find my favorite times to smoke are either early in the morning or later in the afternoon. There isn't one particular tobacco or pipe that I would use for any particular time of day (though I must admit I've never smoked Irish Flake in the morning on an empty stomach), there are tobacco and pipe (and lighter) combinations that I do prefer.
This morning's smoke was one of my favorite combinations: Dunhill's London Mixture in my 1984 Peterson 2S. The mild to medium body English blend has just the right flavor for a 9:00 am smoke and a pot of freshly steeped Golden Monkey black tea. And the 2S has a medium-sized bowl, is a decent clencher considering its heft, and always provides a cool smoke. And I've found my Mr. Brog lighters, like the one I used today, to be completely satisfactory for the job, unless it's windy, and then I turn to my Zippo with pipe insert.
I've also found that Orlik Golden Sliced is another of my favorite morning smokes, with its sweet Virginias and mild body.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm having a morning smoke of Pegasus, one of C&D's more refined burley blends, since I'm on a burley bender lately.

It's mild enough for morning but still rich and flavorful for the burley smokers among us.

I love those few minutes, packing and lighting the pipe before making those aromatic breakfast foods, pancakes, bacon, eggs, coffee, with a light aromatic tobacco to bring it all together. The kids wiping the sleep off their faces. Scramble to get them out the door, dishes in the sink, and then a few more minutes to myself to finish the pipe and coffee. I love mornings.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I get up early (05.00) and work at home for a couple of hours before I go into the office. I value that time enormously; I love the peace and quiet and I get a helluva lot done, but I have to confess that my pipes and blends are central to the whole experience. For some reason I crave balkans at that time of the morning, with a sweet base to suck on and a spice to stir the blood, and I smoke them in MM Country Gents or Diplomats. Consistent taste, minimal cleaning, smoke and reload. Don't worry if you clench too hard - there's another stem in the drawer. A cup of tea and a kiss to wake the wife, suit on and grab my briefcase (pre-stocked the night before with pipes and baccy for the day) as I head out the door. What's not to like?
Andy

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
My "morning" smoke is usually right after lunch. Lately I've been doing Dunhill EMP but London Mixture is another favorite.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I smoke a variety of blends throughout an entire day, but in the morning I am more selective, as I am in the evening. La Brumeuse and Silver Flake work well durng the former. The taste of Semois has been widely described, but Silver Flake is less so. It is a resplendent, sumptuous, full red VA with just enough Dark-Fired to be noticeable. The choice to combine the fully sweet with the smoky is fine enough but to me this VA would have wonderful without the KY. I haven't tasted a VA this good since 2001 Christmas Cheer.
Apparently it also has bright VA, but I don't find it the boldness of above.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I never smoke in the am. Have a small child, have to dress up for work, and work in healthcare so...between time and odor it just doesn't work.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I don't usually get time for a morning smoke but when I do I usually reach for PS Proper English or SG Squadron Leader. Both give me that nice wake up kick but neither is overbearing. I usually smoke them out of smaller bowled pipes or CG cobs since time is usually a factor for me. I like to partner these tobaccos with a strong coffee or Irish tea and I am a pretty happy guy.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Dunhill Flake for me, every morning. Saturday and Sunday are like Heaven. Hours and hours of nothing but pipe tobacco, and music.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
This is a great posting, love the comments, plus seeing some faces I've not seen in a while - tarak and lastandfound.
I start the day off brewing a strong cup or three of coffee, grab the bible, any pipe I use for English blends and fill it with Early Morning Pipe from either Match or Dunhill. EMP is a wonderful smoke anytime, but so nice in the morning.
After that, a bowl of oatmeal, and off to the gym for 2 hours.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I'm an EMP or MM965 in the morning kind of guy. Get my dark coffee with light creamer and head out to the patio. I only get to smoke like that on Sunday's or my days off from school between semesters. Get a solid hour of smoking in and relaxing before the kids get up.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I've been on a Sutliff Balkan Luxury Blend 957 kick of late with a good coffee. A really nice smokey blend that is budget friendly. My other favorite is MM965.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
I rarely smoke in what I'd truly consider the morning - weekdays are too busy, and weekends allow for a little sleeping in. But when I used to do so, I always had a special fondness for GLP's Cairo. I didn't care for the blend much at any other time besides first thing in the morning. But for whatever reason it was fantastic then.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
+1 tppytel! That's exactly how I feel about Cairo and it's the blend that turned me on to Balkans in the morning. Less of a fan later in the day, but Cairo hits the spot with a coffee in the morning. Bizarre and a good example - given the tobacco stays constant - of how our bodies change during the day.
Andy

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
I'm usually up too early to smoke during the week, but at the weekend I do like a bowl of Sherlock Holmes. The sweet grassy orange flavor wakes the taste buds up nicely.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Regular morning smoke is either McCranie's Highland, MacB HH VS, or After Hours from Hill & Hill, my B&M. Right now it's AH in an old billiard from Watkins' Smoke Shop, a now-defunct Detroit B&M. Don't remember when I bought this pipe, but I'm guessing about 1975 or 1976.

On the days when the Stanwell egg that is dedicated to McCranie's Murdock's Pipe comes up in the rotation, that's my morning pipe.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Peterson's Irish Oak accompanied by a cup of black coffee is a fantastic morning smoke for me. Perks me right up.
However most mornings it's PS LBF in a cob and a cup of coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.