PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrwestminster

Lurker
Sep 12, 2016
Good day, gentlemen.
This is my first thread. I have read the forums for a long time, however have only just joined. Firstly, thank you for your participation and contributions, I have learned a lot from many of you. I really like the community you have here and am thankful to be a part of it.
The only other thread I found on this topic was somewhat dated and I suspect more of you will have had dealings with him more recently. Therefore, I would like to know what your own experiences are with Jonathan Lavezzo and his firm, Moonshine Pipes. I have had my experiences with him having ordered in the past month... I am curious what others have to say.
I look forward to your responses.
- Edward

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Hello and welcome, I ordered two Devil Anse style pipes from him. Flawless transactions. The shipping could have been a little better, but it worked out. The pipes were okay. One of them was canted/weighted to far forward for my liking, since I'm used to Eric Paulson's Devil Anse and I gifted both pipes to a forum member. The pipes were drilled correctly and the fit and finish was spot on....it was my personal taste not the workmanship.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Not only does Moonshine pipe co make good smokers they also have a good number of tobacco blends, I have tried and enjoy Mason Jar and XXX

mrwestminster

Lurker
Sep 12, 2016
Thank you all for your responses thus far.
My own experience is that I ordered two pipes from him and was sorely disappointed in the whole ordeal.

The pipes I got are probably wonderful smokers, however, I feel so disconcerted by the rest of the experience that I am yet to smoke them. My main issues with Moonshine Pipes are Jonathan's communication and the way in which he conducts his business; both of which I find objectionable. This was a massive disappointment to me because I have always respected and admired Jonathan's work. I really have to wonder if anyone else has encountered these aforementioned issues.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I purchased a Blue Collar Devil Anse when he offered a free pipe with any purchase. He sent me a Blue Collar Dublin, his choice, but that was ok. Both are really good smoking pipes, and he shipped really fast, can't say there was any problems at all. I like the pipes enough to recommend them.

Dec 28, 2015
I have heard others make negative comments about their experience with Moonshine pipes. Particularly dealing with communication. It is somewhat confusing g to me. I ordered a Deviled Egg from them a little while back. I placed the order online and a few days later I received the pipe in the mail. It smokes great. No communication was necessary. Maybe I'm just a simple guy to please.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
It seems a bit trollish to join a forum and start a thread to disparage a man and his business. If you can't bring yourself to smoke the pipes because of whatever reason, return them, or gift them. If you decide to gift them shoot me a PM....

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
No nonsense, straight to the point. That's Jonathan and moonshine pipes. I can say nothing bad. Kinda like JTCooke, some feel his email etiquette can be brash, but if you ever actually meet in person he is one of the nicest guys in the business from what I hear!

Jan 8, 2013
I've ordered from him a couple times, and had a chat or two with him as well. Seems like a decent enough fellow to me, shipping was quite timely on both purchases, and the pipes are fantastic. Let me finish with this. On Facebook there seems to be a mentality of bashing one or another pipe carver or whatever.... some people join in the cause to try to discredit a guy, simply because one of them might have had their feathers ruffled. Well, this isn't Facebook so leave that nonsense there.

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
Let me preface by saying I have never purchased a Moonshine pipe or dealt with the proprietor in any way. That said ...
This is poor form. Don't post under the guise of wanting to know what others have experienced. If you want to start a witch hunt, get out your pitchfork and torch and do it proper.
But don't do it on a forum you just joined.

mrwestminster

Lurker
Sep 12, 2016
Thank you all for your insights and views. I understand what you mean; I had my doubts about telling my own experience from the get go, which is why I formulated this thread as I did. I didn't want to fly out the gate with negativity so I thought I would pose the question first. This does two things: It enables me to see how Moonshine Pipes are conducting their business lately and, if I am to tell my side of the story, it paints Moonshine Pipes in a positive light Prior to me describing my own dealings with them/him.
It's a shame that in light of my bad experience, some of you would rather I had just shut up and dealt with it in silence, instead of voicing my concerns on a community designed for precisely this purpose. This is an open forum and as such, you are as entitled to comment on this thread as I am entitled to post it. My intention is not to disparage a man or his business, I am not here to name and shame anyone. The purpose of this thread, again, is to share my experience and gain those of others. I'm not one for hidden motives, they're an utter waste of time. I was hesitant to state my case, though given that some were willing to pass judgement on me and my conduct without knowing the story, I am going to allow others to decide for themselves... Instead of opening myself up to further conclusion jumping.
You gents call it what whatever you'd like to, "trollish", brash, poor form, etc. I hadn't yet specifically stated what my issue with Jonathan and his company are, I wanted to see if all the positive things I once read were still true for everyone else apart from me; that the treatment I'd received was a one off. I am very happy to hear that for the most part, the other orders have been problem-free. This is what I'd read everywhere, as well as how reasonable and nice a guy Jonathan is.
As stated, my main problem with Moonshine Pipes is communication, or the lack thereof. I have had non-stop issues with my order that are still ongoing. Meanwhile: No response from Jonathan in 10 days.

I ordered two pipes. Days later, before my pipes have shipped, these pipes are reduced in price, with each pipe coming supplied with an additional free one. I email about this to express my disappointment that I missed the opportunity but that I get it and that I am excited to receive my order. No response. Seemed a bit cold, but oh well. Several days later, half my money gets refunded with no explanation at all. I email Jonathan, nothing.
Then when I finally hear from him, it's to tell me that the pipes I ordered are both out of stock. He tells me to pick two others and that I'll receive some additional pipes for free, to make up for the mistake on the site. I was surprised at this but was naturally happy!
I then contact him 2 weeks later to get customs information on my package because it's stuck there. 6 days go by, nothing. Reminder, nothing. Package arrives, missing all extras. This was a pity but I had received a partial refund for this order, so it was not the end of the world, by any means. What annoyed me mostly, was that one of the pipes is damaged. I email Jonathan to tell him about this. Both about the damage and less importantly, the missing extras. I also tell him I'm not happy about his delayed replies. This time, credit to him, he replies immediately, asking for photographs, apologising profusely and yet again promising me a complimentary pipe for this mistake.
That was 10 days and 3 reminders ago. I even messaged him on Instagram, where he is active constantly. It is now clear that I am being ignored. I admire what the man does, being a one man operation. I know he has a family and a life that goes beyond my concern for good customer service. This, however, is quite remarkable.
If you now wish to pass judgement on my concerns, do so. This is an open discussion. If you think I have unreasonable expectations then please feed this back to me.

mrwestminster

Lurker
Sep 12, 2016
I did indeed message 1coyote, as a veteran of the forums I sought his advice to avoid offending anyone. I do apologise if I have failed in my avoidance of this.
Thank you for your show of solidarity and kind words, 1coyote. I really do appreciate it. As you say, I'm not looking to put anyone down.
I just wasn't sure what to do next and I turned to the community for opinions and experiences. I may not have been a member for long but I have been reading for some time and know many of you by your usernames, even though you'd have had no way of knowing me. I value what we have here and the last thing I want is to poison the well.
I just want to state for clarity's sake that it was just 1 of the two pipes that had the flaw in it. Though the rest is exactly as stated.

Jan 8, 2013
Ok, Mrwestminster, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps you both ruffled each other's feathers. And I'm not going to make excuses for Jonathan Lavezzo, but maybe on his end, he might feel like you're pulling his chain. Maybe he missed the damage on the pipe and thinks it happened after you received the pipe. I'm not saying you did, I'm just saying from experience that sometimes customers suck. I'm a meatcutter. And during the summer months I quite often have to replace somebody's ribeye steaks or any number of other items, because they said they were spoiled... when the meat was freshly arrived and the customer probably left them in their 115 degree car too long. Now I'm not saying he's right or your right or anybody's wrong either. Try a different tact with him. Tell hims something along the lines of.. "I really love the work you do, you make some great pipes, I've seen them. And others have been extremely happy doing business with you. However something went wrong with my order somewhere in the mix. I'd love to order more of your pipes in the future, but from my standpoint, I'm not sure that I can if I feel I'm being mistreated as a customer. I want to believe, as others do, that you're a fair business man and you take pride in your work and customer service. Please help me to see that you are by trying to work out this issue with me." Maybe that will help. If it doesn't, then by all means, don't do business with him any longer. Personally, I would hope the two of you can come to an agreement. Because his pipes are fantastic, and he seems to me to be a swell guy. Good luck, and I apologize if I came off in a bad light.

mrwestminster

Lurker
Sep 12, 2016
Hello, Anthony. That is very kind of you, I appreciate that you would say this to me. No apology necessary but appreciated nonetheless, thank you. Indeed, I do know what you mean about the way customers can be. I work for a large technology company and my initial job was as a first-level support engineer. Customers can be awful, blaming the company for their own mistakes and negligence, etc.
I messaged Jonathan immediately upon opening the package. He apologised there and then, I don't know if he was suspicious that I may have damaged the pipe myself but I wouldn't have thought so.
I have a feeling that regardless of what I say to him, Jonathan will not reply anymore. The sad thing is, I love his pipes and really admire(d) his work-ethic. I feel more let down, not angry, and I could never order again in light of the circumstances. He is always polite and friendly when he does write me and I'm sure he's a great guy. It seems I am the only one that has had issues with the way he's handled my custom and I hope it stays that way. I, too, had my concerns about whether or not Jonathan was unwell, which is why I took to Instagram. Videos and pictures of him hanging out and drinking beer... I assume everything is fine.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Wait, so being here since August entitles veteran status?
Lol
I don't think the OP had an agenda. If I had issues with something and couldn't get satisfactory answers from the source, I'd ask respected members of an active forum.

mrwestminster

Lurker
Sep 12, 2016
Precisely, Clickklick! Thank you.
Point taken about being a member since August equaling veteran status. I can understand how this seemed odd, especially for a member that's been around 2+ years. Haha

I was going by active participation and community reputation and I always see 1coyote involved in threads and posting. I get the impression that he has been a pipe smoker a long time.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Good people stay in the business for the long hall. The others get weeded out quickly. It is interesting to see how many pipe makers recently switched their focus to fishing rods, canes, and knives.

Reactions: damronhimself
Status
Not open for further replies.