PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 28, 2017
I am traditionalist when it comes to pipes shapes and makers and don’t really care much for artisan pipes. Some of Moonishine pipes shapes cought my eye and since I’m not familiar with the brand, I was wondering if anyone here got them and can testify for their quality?
Cheers!

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I think Briarworks makes them now. Not sure if the original dude is still involved in any way. Hopefully not as he left a bad taste in a lot of mouths, so to speak.

Jan 8, 2013
I have a couple from before Jonathan Lavezzo sold the brand to Briarworks, and they're great pipes. I don't have any of the Briarworks made Moonshine pipes, but I don't believe I've ever heard a single negative thing about Briarworks.

Feb 28, 2017
Sasquatch- Any recommendations for Traditionalist artisans with reasonable prices? or if you referring to yourself, whats your website?

cerfer

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2017
I have a Devil Anse that I love. It's a great smoker, and the bowl is deceptively large.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since the original maker made some customers unhappy, I'm glad Moonshine pipes are in more agreeable hands. Any business is an exercise in human relations, so it is awfully important to be trusted by your clientele. I think a brand always has a period of proving itself when it changes ownership and/or location. Many brands do well indeed. Stanwell has maintained its mojo through its move to production in Italy, though there was much skepticism at the time. All my Stanwells are Italian-made, and they are excellent. C&D blending has been carefully nurtured at its new home in South Carolina, and I'm glad it found such an agreeable new home.

Reactions: KruegerFlap

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Johnathan I think got too big for his own marketing success and couldn't keep up with his own demand. He built up a huge brand and cult following similar to the dagners and he carved his own pipes. In fact, most of his designs and pipes were pretty darn good, good enough that Briarworks acquired the brand. Unfortunately, Johnathan also made promises when he got drunk as balls and didn't deliver here and there... so it was a good thing he sold the brand. He also went through some serious personal shit at the same time. He spun off a new company called moonshine rods, and I think it's doing pretty good making custom fishing rods.
SOOOOO if you're looking to buy a moonshine pipe, the shapes are great and the manufacturing is top notch because it's coming from Briarworks.

Reactions: Pappy Coon

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
MoM, yeah, I was passively referring to myself, I am at BSTpipes.com. Not much listed there but I have a few just about ready to go. I don't like using threads like this to advertise, that's not my primary purpose on any of these boards.
Price wise, well, I don't know what any particular person thinks is reasonable, but I start around 275 and go up to about 400 bucks.
Scottie Piersel makes lots of nice traditional shapes, ladybriar.com I think, and you should check out Ryan Alden as well - Aldenpipes.com.
At a slightly lower price point you'll find Ashtons in a very traditional English/handmade sort of vein.

Jan 8, 2013
Lots of guys build pipes as good as mine. For sure. And if you ask me, I’ll tell you. I’ll tell you right now Abe Herbaugh makes finer buttons. I’ll tell you right now Nate King, Bruce Weaver, and Clark Layton sandblast better than me. Andrew Staples… shinier. Scottie Piersel – more delicate. I’m not kidding. Check it out. But all those guys and especially Scottie… they’re Satanists. Yeah. They eat puppies, dude, for real. You gonna buy a pipe from a puppy eater? That’s right. So you’re better off here, where we don’t do that kind of thing.
The best part of Sasquatch's site. :rofl:

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Bahahaha.....that’s hilarious
I have a estate moonshine pipe that I have no idea if it was made before or after briarworks but I love the button, it’s very comfortable, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.