PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
Just got off the phone with the head of Pipesandcigars.com and things aren't looking good for the industry. Yes, the way the regulations are currently written, PIPES will be considered a "tobacco product" and be regulated the same way pipe tobacco will be. Anyone who tells you "it's all a bunch of gossip" has no clue what they are talking about. This effects every pipe manufacturer from Savinelli to small businesses like Moonshine Pipes. If this regulation is not changed, it will begin the slow death of the hobby we all love and enjoy. Continue to speak out people! Because this IS HAPPENING as I type this.
Moonshine Pipes

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
My understanding from reading the regulations and watching the FDA webinar is that pipes are considered to be instruments but will not carry warning labels. Something made of wood/mineral/plastic/rubber etc and has no constituent tobacco properties. So, I guess I beg to differ with the gentleman's interpretation.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I'm not sure what to think but just in case I've loaded up on a dozen MM pipes recently. Papipeguy, I wouldn't take too much stock in what the FDA said in their webinair. Afterall, "if you like your insurance carrier you can keep your insurance carrier".

May 4, 2015
Their regulatory control extends to pipes, so who knows what they'll do. The application and deeming process isn't for pipes, it's for tobacco, so 'regulated the same way tobacco will be' doesn't even mean anything.
They've said their control extends to pipes - No specifics on what that means. The August 8th date, though, means nothing for pipes, though, far as I can figure.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Last update I saw, it covered pipes, pipe racks, pouches, tobacco, but not cleaners and lighters.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
As much of a hassle as it is, this FDA interference, I am not concerned. I have said it before, the FDA can be bought. They are in this for money, not health reasons. Sugar, among other unhealthy food ingredients, are still listed on their GRAS (generally recognized as safe) list. They still claim that sugar does not cause diabetes and that fat and cholesterol are the culprit. They say this because the sugar industry has paid them major $$$$.
Also, I finished my cellar last year, so not having new tobacco to try will remove temptation :twisted:

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I've read through the entire document. There is a placeholder for pipes being deemed, but it does not appear they've chosen to execute it at this time. Does it worry me, yes. What can we do about it?
We are a minority and even Rocky Patel and his crew couldn't even get the FDA to listen one ounce of sense.
I'm not rolling over, but all of this outrage from us on message boards still does nothing but fuel the fear.
I just got very invested in pipe making as a hobby, so this concerns me to the fullest! A lot of expensive equipment will become obsoleted at my place if I can no longer make pipes!

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
If that happens, I see a booming underground "word or mouth" pipe maker movement. Contacting the carvers privately and buying under the FDA radar. They won't be able to track everything.

Some people buy pipes as art and never smoke them. How can you keep that from happening?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Is this really what we want ADF or whatever law enforcement to be spending their time and money on? Tracking down black market Savinelli's? Say they're weed pipes and carry on. Very depressing micromanagement of a micro population. I sense the prohibiting of argyle socks, enforced by a SWAT team, on the horizon. Laws forbidding pocket watches. Forbidding the eating of anchovies. Outlawing jock itch powder. What's next?

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've been signing petitions and notifying Senators/Representatives. That's all us consumers can really do.
I hope Congress realizes how detrimental and unnecessary these regulations are and does something to fix the situation for our benefit.
Very sad to see Moonshine Pipes go if it comes to that. Johnathan is a great guy who makes some amazing pipes. He should be able to continue making them as long as he wants.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
sY20WYV.jpg

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I see a booming underground "word or mouth" pipe maker movement.
I already see this. People are growing, curing and trading their own tobacco on a word-of-mouth basis. They'll do the same with pipes.
Just like the internet, humanity routes around obstacles.

Status
Not open for further replies.