PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

p4ttythep3rf3ct

Might Stick Around
Mar 2, 2015
Moonshine Pipes – Devil Anse – Whiskey Blast
TLDR: http://imgur.com/a/IF2sY

What a nice pipe! I would be ordering another Shiner collection today had I not had the experience I did with Jonathan on the other thread. I really wanted to hate it and have it arrive with something wrong so I could lambast it in front of the community, but I can’t.
First impression upon opening the box is that it is bigger than I anticipated. Which is a good thing. I had read some reviews suggesting to get ready for a smaller pipe. I knew the measurements and did the invisible ruler in the air in front of the computer thing, but I was pleasantly surprised nonetheless.
Second surprise was that this pipe has some heft to it. Nothing crazy, but I suppose since I was expecting smaller, I was imagining something lightish like a cob (not quite, but light). I’m glad that did not pan out. The weight feels great in hand. I’m not so sure this pipe is a clencher, however. The leverage and center of gravity are too far out to be comfortable for a long time. Or maybe that’s just me. I wasn’t looking for a clencher anyway.
Ok. Obviously the blast work is quality. This thing looks good, I mean real good. It has a certain ruggedness that lends itself well to what I assume the vision of this pipe is, or at least, the vision as described in the product description on the website. It’s my first blasted pipe and I am pretty pleased about it. Very well done.
The drilling is almost perfect. It may even be perfect for the shape, I’m not sure. It seems as though it is a hair high, allowing for a tiny divet just below its egress into the bowl, not even the size of a BB. But I look at the shape, and it’s pretty spot on for how the bowl cants. I imagine it may be a difficult or uncommon drill.
Overall arbitrary rating of how I feel about this pipe, even after all the BS I’d say at eight out of ten. However, my recommendation is to not buy from this company until you see a Buy One Get One sell pop up again. Also, buyer beware: The company does not know or seemingly care a lot about modern CSAT practices and should you find yourself on the end needing to communicate with the company for any reason post-purchase you will may find yourself asking yourself why you handed money over to such a dickbag, if he even communicates back at all (which honestly would have been better). Your mileage may, of course, vary. Happy piping! ☺

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
Nice looking pipe! Does look like it has a bit of heft to it.
Thanks for the warning on how this seller operates.

Jan 8, 2013
Great looking pipe! Congrats. I love my Moonshine Deviled Eggs. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience though. I've personally had no problems. Enjoy the heck out that pipe :)

p4ttythep3rf3ct

Might Stick Around
Mar 2, 2015
Yeah, it was a weird culmination of events. Had I just ordered and never had any reason to send an email it would have been a 10/10 experience but the email ended up opening a can of bad communications. Oh well. C'est la vie, no? It's still a kick-ass pipe. :)

Jan 8, 2013
Yeah it is a kick ass pipe lol. Hopefully you'll order from him again in the future. From what I understand he's a one man show, does all his packing and shipping himself too. I think that sale he ran last week might have been more than he bargained for and might have got overwhelmed. It doesn't excuse bad behavior of course, whatever might have happened, but I'm willing to give him another try. I mean... the dude makes awesome pipes at a ridiculously low price haha!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I ordered two of his pipes, one is what the OP ordered. It arrived the other day. It could have been packed better BUT it was a flawless transaction and the pipe smoked pretty good. My only complaint is that it's heavier than I care for. I have several made by Paulson and they're super light with huge bowls. Definitely going back to Paulson.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I bought a Blue Collar Devil Anse, and got a Blue Collar Dublin as well. Heaviness aside, I was impressed at how quickly each took to the tobaccos I tried them with, and how smooth and cool they both smoke. The saddle bit on the Dublin is really comfortable. I would easily recommend one to a new pipe smoker, and find them to be a good value.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
I picked up a Devil Anse - Whiskey Blast from them last week. Arrived in a timely manner and is a great looking little pipe. I've been breaking it in over the last few days and it's a terrific little smoker as well. I'd definitely buy from them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.