PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
This just might become my main choice for Scotch. It's a blend without grain whisky. It costs less than 10 year aged Laphroig (a single malt), which I also like. I recommend both.
One day, our legendary Malt Master David Stewart decided to create the world’s first 'triple' malt, by combining single malts from three of Speyside’s finest distilleries.
https://www.monkeyshoulder.com/about/

drunkblowhard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2015
This scotch rocks.
The main component is a distillery called Kininvie which doesn't distroute into the U.S. This is one of the only ways to get a hold of it! One of the best whiskies for the money, hands down.
Cheers!

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Isn't Kininvie the single malt that is used in Clan MacGregor blended scotch? Anyone know what the other two Speysides used in Monkey Shoulder are? Their website doesn't say.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I actually didn't care for this scotch straight up, and would still prefer something like Johnny Walker black for a blended scotch. However, while I always drink single malts neat with a splash, I've started to enjoy scotch and sodas with blended stuff....monkey shoulder would fit that bill nicely.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Sounds interesting. I only recently have begun enjoying scotch. I tried them for years and hated them. Then I tried Ardbeg and loved the smoke.
This sounds like a great find. Is it smokey/peaty?

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I don't think its smokey or peaty at all. Its a blended scotch, so they tend to be smooth and (I think) toward the sweeter side. Think of it like a coffee or wine- the single bean/varietal tends to be more assertive in certain flavors and you'll love it or hate it. A coffee blend or a red wing blend tends to smooth out the highs and lows, and has a better chance of being a "crowd pleaser".

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I looked for a review by ralfy on YouTube but didn't find one. The reviews I found by others (in English) weren't worth linking here.
https://m.youtube.com/user/ralfystuff

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Shaintiques says the other two single malts in the blend besides Kininvie are Glenfiddich & Balvenie.
I think the best blended scotch on the market is called Monkey Shoulder. Monkey Shoulder is a mix of three different Single Malts - Glenfiddich, Balvenie and Kininvie - and is great with mixers or just on its own. Smooth, sweet and very easy to drink.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/blended-scotch-suggestions
I have a couple editions of Michael Jackson's "Complete Guide to Single Malt Scotch" and he doesn't rate or review Kininvie (and he's not THAT Michael Jackson either). In the 5th edition it is stated that Kininvie has yet to be bottled as a single malt:
"In 1990, Grant's added to the site a third distillery, Kininvie. This also produces a creamy spirit, but Kininvie has not thus far been bottled as a single malt."
I'd like to know more about Kininvie is anyone can find a review.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I found a review on Kininvie. It was first bottled as a 23 yr old single malt in 2013 & called Batch Number One. Currently only being sold in Taiwan. It appears it will always be limited in availability as a single malt because most of the production from the small distillery is to be used in Clan MacGregor and Monkey Shoulder blended scotches, much like my favorite single malt Longmorn.
http://whiskyadvocate.com/2013/10/23/and-now-kininvie/
Sorry to have gotten OT from Monkey Shoulder.

drunkblowhard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2015
I had a chance to taste that batch 1 bottling. A tiny quantity came to the states, and only in 375 ml bottles.
It was pretty righteous. Round and mellow and gentle. The flavor profile reminded me of Mortlach. I don't know if the whisky alone would justify the price if the bottle, but the experience of getting to try such an elusive distillery is really what you're paying for.
And the packaging was pretty sexy, for all you design nerds out there.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
According to Maniacs there has only been three bottlings of Kininvie: a 15 yr old (2006), a 17 yr old (2008) & a 23 yr old (2013) from 1990 production.
Scotch Single Malts (Disclosed Distilleries)
Ratings

84 Kininvie 15yo 1990/2006 'Hazelwood 105' (52.5%, OB, First fill Sherry cask) 15 52.5% 2006 6

87 Kininvie 17yo 1990/2008 'Hazelwood Reserve' (52.5%, OB, For Janet Sheed Roberts, first fill sherry casks, 70cl) 17 52.5% 2008 3

87 Kininvie 23yo 1990 (42.6%, OB, Batch 001, 35cl, 2013) 23 42.6% 2013 1

Status
Not open for further replies.