Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
Hey all,
Went to smoke my mason jarred Esoterica Dunbar, and found this....
5419_zpsz2w7vxyq.jpg

2112_zpsk1sdixf4.jpg

To me, it doesn't look super green or blue, it's pretty white, and the jar still smells amazing, no musty/moldy smells. Is this mold or that good stuff?!
Thanks!

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Same thing happened to my Dunbar (8 oz bag) I bought and jarred last summer. Threw it away. So far my other jars have not sprouted but I do monitor them closely. Smoking through jar 2 now and have not seen any since.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
Damn it! I thought that might be the case, it’s a shame cause I love this stuff and it wasn’t cheap! Haha
Thanks for the input guys!
Should I let it dry in the open tin for a few days before jarring it next time? How do I prevent this from happening again?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Should I let it dry in the open tin for a few days before jarring it next time? How do I prevent this from happening again?
Mold spores are everywhere, and leaving a tin or jar open to the air for a long period of time runs the risk of contamination. Use fresh jars, unless you know how to sterilize them properly. I wash all surfaces thoroughly and rinse with distilled water right before jarring. So far, I've had no mold problems. I also live in a dry climate, which helps.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I've got 8 ounces of Dunbar jarred up. Got my fingers crossed. So far, so good. Also have 6 more 8 ounce bags of Esoterica mixtures that I need to jar.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've got 8 ounces of Dunbar jarred up. Got my fingers crossed. So far, so good. Also have 6 more 8 ounce bags of Esoterica mixtures that I need to jar.
If these are unopened bags, I think you're safer with enclosing the bags as is in a jar or good thick bag, plastic or mylar.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
Unless you introduced the mold spores into the tobacco while canning it, nothing you can do. It probably wasn't something you did.
Well..... after Sablebrush52's comment I'm thinking it could have been me... I did just grab an old jar out of the cabinet and toss it in :crying: haha
Mold spores are everywhere, and leaving a tin or jar open to the air for a long period of time runs the risk of contamination. Use fresh jars, unless you know how to sterilize them properly. I wash all surfaces thoroughly and rinse with distilled water right before jarring. So far, I've had no mold problems. I also live in a dry climate, which helps.
Well, I'm a home brewer too so I've got plenty of brewery sanitizer around! I'll be sure to sanitize my tobacco jars the way I do my beer bottles from now on if they aren't new! D.C. is not a dry climate at all, humidity can cross higher than 80% here in the summer! it's rough!
Redglow, I'm sending you all the "anti-mold" vibes I can! happy thoughts!
Definitely mold. U know cause you needed my opinion too. Lol
Didimauw, every time someone tells me its mold, it takes away just a bit more of the temptation to pick out the bits I can see and still smoke it... you got me one step closer to the trash can so thanks! haha

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I'd just pick off the moldy bits and smoke it, not really a big deal, but very annoying. If it was an easy to get tobacco I'd throw it out but that is Esoterica... I fully went to this post thinking, "oh great another person who thinks the white crystals sugar are mold;" but that clearly is not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.