PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Bubba, I was just thinking about it, didn't really know if the Mods had part of PipesMag. or how it worked or how You were picked. Nothing bad.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I picked Lawrence because he has an MBA, loves Lane 1Q, and whenever he has to moderate someone he sends the most professional, well-thought-out, respectful and kind email. Unlike me, where I would just blast the person.
I picked Bubba because he has a super positive attitude, superior computer skills, a really smokin' hot wife.
cynthia-smoking-02.jpg

Some of the above is true, and some is in jest, but seriously, the 2 most important things for me in asking a person to be a moderator are:
1. Trust & Understanding - I must feel I can trust them to most likely make the same type of decisions I would make, and that they understand how I want this place run.
Out of 100 moderator decisions (which you don't see in public), there was only 1 time where I overruled a decision.
2. Time to do the job - I look for intelligent guys that are respectful, as lenient as possible, but know when to push the button - but none of this matters if they are not logged into the forums and looking at them on a regular basis.
Lastly, I try to keep the number of people that are moderators to the minimum amount required to manage the place.
It's bad management practice to have too many cooks in the kitchen.
I also think it's good that Lawrence and Bubba are from two different generations so we have a broader perspective.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I think that's the best way to choose mods for any site.
For the site that Cyndi and I were mods, the decision as to how many mods was based on the percentage of the membership. Then came the decisions as to who could be trusted and to what affect. It was effective having mods on at all times of day for that site, but it also seemed to get over crowded and not everyone agreed with each other. That makes for a disaster trying to moderate a site, lol.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I agree with Lawrence :oops:
I only agreed to become a moderator because I love that Kevin wants us to almost be invisible as a Mod. I have been on many forums where the moderators are power hungry people and they rule with an iron fist. Here on Pm.com if one of us was to become that way, our titles would be striped instantly. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.