PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
So I have a couple of cobs, and never seemed to like them as the stem protrudes into the bowl and it leaves me with a bottom layer of unsmokable tobacco.
I also had a Peterson 314 which shattered with an overzealous reamer, leaving me with a spare stem.
Now after I reamed off the protruding bit, I decided to try to fit the old stem in.
Now besides looking a little too long, I have a good smoker. Yes, I prefer the p-lip, and I think I've finally found my ideal cob. (Although I still am a Peterson girl).

CornCobMod_zpsfadf9500.jpg

*EDIT* -fixed the link for you. You only need to put the image URL within the IMG bookends (Theses guys->
) Copy the image URL, click the IMG button up top and Voilá! -Jason */EDIT*

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I like it. Personally, I'd heat that stem up and straighten it out a little, but other wise it is an awesome example of ingenuity in the face of adversity. How does it smoke with the new stem? Any better or worse?
-Jason

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've been thinking about cob modification lately too. One idea is to fill the shank of a 'filter' type with plaster of paris (or something) and then drill it out to say, 5/32"....

Anybody ever try anything like that? I wonder if it would make the draw a tad more effective?

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Interesting approach. It looks like the bowl would be almost horizontal while smoking.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
"Anybody ever try anything like that? I wonder if it would make the draw a tad more effective? "
I've found with filtered cob stems that using a Savinelli triangular balsa filter tightens up the draw very nicely without affecting flavor. It's not a permanent solution but it is a cheap one especially if you can source balsa triangle stock from a hobby store.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My reason for considering a 5/32 modification of a typical MM filter pipe derived from having read of someone who makes custom cobs with that particular feature as integral to its upgrade. I can't remember if it was that Canadian guy, or someone else..

I'm a frustrated condo resident and wish I had my old workshop to doodle around in.

I guess I just want to DO something with a pipe other than ream it and clean it and smoke it.

I expect to get with the kit pipe thing murmuring in the conversation, but I still wish I was back where my freedom of 'expression' was better enhanced by my surroundings.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
The stem protrusion that you are referring to will eventually burn off. I have eight MM cobs and the four that I smoke most often no longer have that protrusion.
Nice looking pipe, but wouldn't that stem be better suited for a bent cob rather than a straight one? Just a thought, but hey... whatever works for ya. :wink:

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
Thanks for the image fix.

Correction, it was a 313, not a 314.
And the Diplomat was a bent stem, I tend to prefer them as I hardly have the time to just sit and smoke without having to do anything else, when I'm clenching, the bowl hangs at a 45 degree angle so the wind cover is a necessity if I don't want to have ash on my carpet.
As for the new (old stem), well, I don't have the issues with a mouthful of ash that I did with the original, which is not an issue here.
As fr the Forever stem, hat was what gave me the idea. I was considering ordering one and say that they had a p-lip version.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
image_zps199ec381.jpg.html

Hmm, I'm either amish or the image thing doesn't like me.
Anyway, I rotated the stem above a zippo and bent it. now its one mean cob...

Status
Not open for further replies.