PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebadkitty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 29, 2012
Albany, Oregon
I'm not very good at reviews, but I like War Horse. I've never had the original, so this isn't about that, or a comparison. I don't want to stir any pots, just giving my impression of something I tried for the first time and liked.
I'm not sure if I like it, so maybe I shouldn't say that but rather that I liked my first few bowls today and can see myself settling into it as it becomes familiar. I'm not good at packing ribbon or shredded cuts, usually cube cutting flakes, but this stuff seems forgiving. Usually I can feel myself clump it as I work it in gently, kind of swirling it in as I gently push. I don't know some might call it an upside down version of that video with David McGrane doing a pack in his palm. Anyway, digression. War Horse was easier for me to load a bowl than a usual ribbon, shag, or whatever.
Right off the bat after lighting it it tasted sweet. That sweetness of Virginia that I love, and a little bit of flavoring too maybe. It didn't really remind me of anything except maybe a nice Virginia with a sweet honey type topping. Nice.
Mmmm spiciness of Perique came right up on the first couple puffs and gave my a nose burn that was so nice, there but not intense and it also has a tiny bit of sweetness to it. I love Virginia, but ever since she introduced me to her spicier southern cousin Perique, it's almost always threesomes now. It's almost all I seem to want anymore, and even when I'm having just Virginia, I still think it would be nicer with Perique too. Don't tell Virginia I said that.
The Kentucky came through after a few puffs. I recognize the flavor from eight ounces of Newminster Dark Superior Flakes I bought about four years ago and there's still between 6 or 7 ounces in the jar. I've gone back to the jar a few times, but just am not a fan. This is what I wasn't sure about liking when reading about War Horse, the Kentucky in it. It's flavor doesn't seem to be anywhere near as "in front" as the Newminster, and I like it in this mix.
All of these little things seem to come together: I can drift back and forth between the flavors if I pay attention to them, it also seems I can taste them all at the same time if I want. It stays lit well and tastes great in my nose, if you know what I mean. I think I'm going to like War Horse, and I'd try the plug too.
TL;DR: Some bats@#t craziness masquerading as a review. This stuff is great on my first impression.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I've smoked a few tins and it is always VERY satisfying. I tend toward straight Virginias and VaPers nowadays coming off heavy Lats and mildly sweet Cavendishes. Both of which I still smoke from time to time.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Bought five when it first came out. Still haven't finished the first. I would put it in the "okay" category.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Yes, it does need some hydration. I like it when it has a little moisture, but I've never been much for dry tobacco.
Just wait until the WH Bar comes out. Now, that is some strong, tasty stuff.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
I didn't like it at all. The topping is too sickly sweet for me.

Still looking forward to the bar tough.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I love War Horse and your review just set off a craving for it!

I think that the combination of the 3 different types of tobacco is delicious, I even love the light, sweet flavoring.

I have about 6 tins cellared and reading your review makes me want to break one open.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I'm intersted in the bar just because I like plugs. The plain war horse just seemed like a normal English blend to me so I wasn't very excited about it at all. Hoping the bar will be different.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Hakchuma: The WH Bar is much different and stronger. Here's a link to my reviews of it and WH Green:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/jims-stc-war-horse-bar-and-war-horse-green-reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.