PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmcobber

Lurker
Feb 24, 2019
Sherbrooke Quebec Canada
Hi!
I smoke MM cob. I would like to know how to use a wind cap. Do you have to light first then put the wind cap? Or you light after?

And will the wind cap that Missouri meerchaum sell will fit on any cob? Like the eaton or huck finn?
Thank!

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Howdy mmcobber!
You’re talking about those windcaps that you pinch both sides and insert? I leave them off to light, and then put it on. I take it back off if I need to re-light. I can’t speak for the fit on all the MM cobs, as the mine are predominantly the Country Gentleman cobs.
Hope this helps!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
This windcap?
wind_cap.jpg

That one will NOT fit the Eaton.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I'm wanting to find one!
I don't really use windcaps for their intended purpose, but they make good pipe lids, for when you have to put the pipe away.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Fit is a problem. You can also use a deep bowl and fill it less full. For carrying a packed pipe, you can also use a wine cork that fits. Smoking in wind is a sport, but I wouldn't do it with better pipes that might get overheated with a strong draft down the bowl. Or so I've heard. Finding wind breaks, like berms, trees, buildings, etc., sometimes helps.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
In the wind I use the cap when I'm unable to hold the pipe because of work or fishing. I hold the pipe with my fingers shielding the burn from the wind. No reason for the cap unless you are clenching ws the hand/fingers provide the same service. But, a wind cap can often be a God send.

Status
Not open for further replies.