PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 22, 2014
I gave it a new briar exoskeleton! It's still a work in progress though.
wp_20150917_004-116804-600x337.jpg

jparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 22, 2014
Well.... ok ya got me there.. BUT! Compare the cost of all that versus the satisfaction of shoving a cob into a piece of briar. Well worth it I think! :puffpipe:

jparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 22, 2014
I had to pull the shank out to drop the bowl in, but it fits back into its original spot.

jparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 22, 2014
Thanks Frozen, I checked out your cob mods, very cool! I'm excited to get back out to the shop and finish this one. I think I will put a new stem on it. Not sure if I want to use vulcanite or acrylic.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Your work is most original.
I imagine that the briar exoskeleton would act as a heat diffuser and possibly change the taste profile of the baccy.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Cob lovers spare no expense! I am always amazed at what cob guys do to save their corn.
Pretty damn sweet man!

jparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 22, 2014
@ Ben88 - I make several briar pipes a week, this was just sort of a side project to ensure that my first corn cob pipe would be around for the long haul.
@ stbruno70 -Thank you! I'm not sure what it will do for this old cob as far as smokeablity but it will sure be interesting to find out. The one thing I'm mainly concerned with is the weight difference. I'm working on a shorter vulcanite stem and today I brought the the briar down by a little bit so its not so thick. I plan to rusticate it heavily, stain it, and then put a a bit of wax on it. I think the shorter stem balances the weight better than the original. That would certainly be amazing if I managed to make a cooler smoking cob!
@ clickklick - Thanks! I normally dont consider myself a cob guy but I really do enjoy this particular pipe and I want to extend it's life span as long as I can, plus its a lot of fun.
perdurabo - Agreed! There is something to be said about the trusty corn cob pipe! Gotta love'em

jparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 22, 2014
Update on the project. It still needs quite a bit of work but I like where things are headed.

wp_20150919_004-137878-600x337.jpg

wp_20150919_005-137879-600x337.jpg

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Unique! Yea, its not about the money at times, it the adventure! After all I don't see anyone getting rich restoring pipes.

exibar

Lurker
Sep 28, 2015
Looking good! Was that Leather dye you used? What color was it? I love that color!
Mike B

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Now that is original! think of that briar as a shell carry case for that cob and all the others you get through for the rest of your life!

Status
Not open for further replies.