PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
So I took a chance on this. It looks cool and was inexpensive. I may give it a trial run tomorrow. If anyone has any helpful tips I'd appreciate them.
P2UOJMb.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
So you fill it with cigar leaf, is it a pipe or a cigar, neither or both? Tell us how it goes. It seems like the embers might tend to drop or drift out of the lit end and cause a fire hazard indoors or out, but maybe there is more to it that I'm missing. Give us a report. I'm interested but skeptical.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
The general thought is to use ribbon cut tobacco since it is springy enough to hold the tobacco in place until lit and tamped, others reported rubbing out their tobacco and using the gravity method, I took a different route choosing Dunhill Flake, I rolled the flake and it just fits in the chamber but is too long, so I trimmed it back a bit more and rolled out the rest then used what I could to fill it. I then enjoyed just under 1/2 hour smoke, the pipe is said to produce a 15-20 minute smoke, I think the reason my smoke lasted as long is I did not dry the flake at all and it came from a freshly popped tin, there was no issue with tobacco spilling out, my only peeve is the shape of the stem, I wish it truly were stem shaped other than that it smokes great.

banjo

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've been smoking Pegasus in mine, and have had no issues with tobacco falling out. Plus, I get a 45 minute plus smoke. I love them!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'Looks like a cigar-holder shaped stem would be the right ticket. Interesting concept anyway.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I recently found a Cob Cigar at a B&M after striking out online for the last few months. I expected it to be a gimmick, which is why I sought out the cob version rather than the much more expensive Briar Cigar. To my delight and surprise, it smokes great! I think the reverse calabash-like design may be the reason. There's a fairly large chamber between the bit's tenon and the "bottom" of the burn chamber. I heard Chris Morgan interviewed (I think on Brian Levine's podcast, but I'm not positive) and he mentioned that this was an intentional part of the design. I think it works! The nature of the cob left a lot of flaking behind in that air chamber. I used an undersized twist drill bit to gently scrub the walls to remove the loose pieces. I doubt that they negatively affected the smoke, and in fact might've acted as a beneficial moisture filter, but they made any attempts to clean that portion of the pipe impossible.
I doubt that I'll trade up to the briar cigar. It's challenging to light without charring the rim of the Cob Cigar. Although briar is more resistant to burning, I imagine scorching would be unavoidable, especially if you attempt a relight halfway through the bowl. Narrow, deep chamber that you can't see while lighting. It's a pretty tall order to avoid scorching. With a cob, I don't care. In fact, I think it kinda fits with the cob cigar "image". With the briar, I probably shouldn't care, but would anyway. This cob cigar is just fine for me.
My one complaint with the pipe is the bit. The silly little spout is far too tiny for clenching. I personally like the draft hole to enter my mouth behind my teeth, not between them, or worse, between my lips. I end up holding it 100% of the time and putting my lips on the larger portion of the bit. It works, but I'd like the option of clenching.
I wonder if more will be made. MM has been out of stock for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.