PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
Had my first corn cob blow out. Smoked my MM legend for about a month with about 15-20 bowls thru it and the bottom got soggy and blew a hole. Its a non-hardwood insert one, so i knew it would happen sooner than later.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Never had it happen, but maybe I never smoked my cobs quite as hard. Mine seem to go on and on. Mostly luck of the draw, perhaps.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Years ago I bought an unusual little MM cob in an antique store that had a removable vulcanite stem, and no shank. It had been used before but I cleaned it best I could and loaded it with Prince Albert. It didn't take long before I noticed it was starting to burn out on the bottom. I figured it was mainly because the stem didn't go into the bowl like the usual cobs, but just went into the bowl a short ways above the bottom. I ended up putting a little super glue on the label on the bottom, and then filled the inside of the bowl bottom with a good amount of pipe mud. Smokes just fine now, but I'm not sure I'd do it to an ordinary MM cob, unless I really liked it.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
@booker, it doesnt steer me away at all. I understand that the nature of corn cobs is that you can get an occasional bad egg. No biggy, it was a 5 dollar loss that i got more out of in tobacco ounces than the 5 dollars lost haha. I am actually putting in an order with aristocob.com right now for some more. I still smoke my 5th avenue all the time. Favorite high capacity pipe.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
I had one do the same. I think it's just the nature of the beast, being a natural product and all. Some corn cobs must just be less durable than others.
I still love my cobs, but I do tend toward the ones with the hardwood insert, now.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Had a same problem couple of days ago. Had the Legend for under a week. Purchased it at local pipe store. After about 10 bowl bottom just gave up on me. Had Prince Albert in it

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
If you still have the cob, you could probably save it by elmers gluing a nickle/ quarter to the bottom, and putting some pipe mud in the bottom. :)

jamesrsmithjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2015
TY Booker, for the good of international detante, I also smoke non American blends in it :)
Has you wife had any success ?

May 4, 2015
I opened up this post hoping "Blowout" meant a wicked good sale. Instead, I see sad sad news. What an emotional rollercoaster! Sorry about your pipe, though. I'd throw some mud in there if you smoke wet stuff often and it's not a model with a plug. I never do and I've never blown out, but I rarely smoke down that far. I have noticed some sogginess at the bottom if I'm picking at it to get dottle out, though. Nature of the beast, as was noted before.
Glad you're being pragmatic though and not swearing off cobs. Never blame the cob ;)

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I have 2 MM Legends I've had for 35 years and still smoke. The bottoms got soft, but never burned through. I just baby them now. I know there cheap but sentimental value keeps me smokin them...

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
Thanks everyone for the advice. I may try and save her! I am still new so you can blame part of the early burnout on me. Now that I think back I do smoke them down to the bottom. I guess its part of the learning curve! At least it happend with a 5 dollar pipe. Sorry pipesmokingtom for getting your hopes up haha. And Booker / Jamesrsmithjr i am a corn cob commander for life. I do smoke my briars but i love my cobs so no worries on ill reviews!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jiujitsu, I think you're right. As near as I can tell, all my cobs have hardwood plugs. I didn't buy them with that in mind. I guess I didn't know they came without them. Living on luck in the cob department, I guess. Some of mine have been around for years, a little charred at the brims, but showing no signs of real wear.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Myth Buster 101: You do not need to let the Cobb Rest. Some say otherwise. In all my Cobbs I put pipe cement in The bottom of the bowl to reinforce them.

jamesrsmithjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2015
jiujitsu, I also was like you, then I went cob side 24/7... :) I don't smoke any cobs without the plug, the reason I switched from the Country Gentleman to the Spool was back then the CG didn't have a plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.