PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
After reading the review of G. L. Pease Sextant tobacco and use of rum in it, which was a great review by the way, and reading some other tobacco blending threads lately, I decided to play a little bit with what I had laying around. The idea of mixing a latakia blend with an aro blend was poking around in my mind. I had a few tobaccos I had been ignoring because they just didn't interest me after smoking a few bowls of them. Not bad blends, just not as interesting to me as others I have that were somewhat similar in flavor. After going through a few, I decided to try mixing some of Russ's Dec. blend, Yule Log, with some PS Highland Whisky as they seemed the most compatible. I could never detect very much whisky in the PS blend, but it was a pleasant inoffensive smoke. I felt that Yule Log was a good English blend with a fair amount of latakia in it, but according to Russ, it's an aro blend, so this mix seemed a decent risk. Went 50/50 with each, just enough for a couple of bowls. I was pleasantly surprised with the results. After just one bowl, I decided that I liked this mix. It gives a little sweetness with a little latakia in the background. I'll have to try a few more bowls before I decide I like it enough to go ahead and mix most of what I have together.
I don't know if many of you like playing with tobaccos like this, but just risking such a small amount sometimes you come up with something pretty good!

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I can't remember where it is or if it still exists, but there was a web site which housed a number of combination blends such as yours. It might have Freddy Vegas' site but I find it fun to play a round a bit, although I rarely do. How can you lose when two mediocre (to the smoker's tastes at any rate) can be made into something mor enjoyable?
Mike S.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I happen to be quite fond of latakia and aromatic combinations. C&D has always offered a variety of "crossover" blends that are very enjoyable. The first pipe I ever smoked years ago was one of these blends, Cross Eyed Cricket, which I still enjoy to this day.
When P&C started the My Own Blend offering, our pipe club came together and agreed on an interesting recipe to try. After some debate on what % of latakia (two of us are the resident lat bomb lovers) we settled on a blend featuring latakia and aromatic whiskey. Sure it cost us a bit having P&C mix it, but the process was fun and the blend came out very tasty. I love it in a big bowl such as my Nording.

Hey Paul,
It's nice to see we are promoting mixing tobacco ourselves, with FDA's Inquisition now pointed at pipe tobacco industry it will become impossible to sustain the hobby without putting a major hole in our pockets !!
I am happy you enjoyed the booze in your tabaci.
Cheers,

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.