PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatdane

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2018
I smoke aromatics exclusively, but sometimes I think I would like add more body to my aromatics. I have been thinking of mixing burley with my favororite blends. Has anyone else tried this? And if so, what ratio would you mix and any recommendations on a good burley mixer blend?

Jan 8, 2013
Well most aromatics contain burley as they more easily absorb flavorings than virginias. But any blending burley I suppose would work.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Yes I’ve done this several times. I like a little nicotine kick and find Five Brothers burley to be a great mixer. Burley readily soaks up the flavors and aromas from aromatics while adding a good burley flavor. There are probably better burleys out there but again, I like the nicotine and Five Brothers has that in spades.
Probably start with 3 parts aromatic to 1 part Five Brothers. Me personally, I mix half of each.
Also, be aware that Five Brothers is a fine shag cut and will definitely change the appearance and smoking characteristics. I like to cut it up a little with scissors before mixing with anything.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Adding burley to any other tobacco would tend to make me like it better in most cases. I like it in English blends, balanced with Virginia and often Black Cavendish, and in most of the many different blends with burley done by Cornell & Diehl. I think it makes a good condiment with many non-burley blends. On the other hand, know your own taste for burley -- some love it, some hate it, and some can't taste it at all. If you like burley, lucky you, lucky us.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
mso you nailed it as usual. I’m definitely in the “love it” category and can’t think of anything burley wouldn’t go well with.
And Semois... Wow! Betcha that would mix well but I really like it on its own.

greatdane

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2018
Very interesting, I will definitely have to try this. I have an unopened tub of Granger in my cellar, so thought I would try that first. A slightly sweet burley that may go well with aromatics. I am looking more for body/mouthfeel and burley taste than nicotine strength, so Five Brothers may be too much.

Reactions: Annaresti Red

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
I do 50/50 with PA o CH and goopy mixtures. Never disappoints me! :)

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yes, Carter Hall is great for anything that is too wet initially. But if I'm smoking something that isn't burley, I enjoy mixing some in. My mouth cant take anything that isn't burley.

Reactions: ckcutler
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I understand You Boys, But allow me to throw in some Irish Flake or Dark Flake byG&H only a few slices do sufficiently punch up any bald blend, same goes for them Dark BirdEye by G&H though that one comes in shag form which may not be ideal choice if one is intending to mix it with rough cut blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.