PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I'm sure this has been done so I'd like to hear of what tobacco's you used( I suspect Virginia)and the process you used to achieve a nice coffee casing to the tobacco. Would one maybe grind some coffee and put it in directly to the tobacco or maybe enclose the ground coffee in a cloth pouch?

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
I've thought about making a coffee scented snuff before. In my research I found out that the fresh coffee smell is very hard to capture as the natural oils from the coffee bean degrade very quickly and what you end up with is something resembling coffee left in the pot at the 7-11 for half a day. Samuel Gawith makes an excellent black coffee snuff so either they've figured out a way to do it with real coffee or they use artificial scenting. Like pipesmokingtom I'd be very interested if anybody knows of a way to do this with real coffee.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
My two favorite things being pipe tobacco and coffee, watching this one with interest.
I had no idea there was already a coffee snuff - will have to try this in my next order, thanks!

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
Well, McClelland's No. 710 has "real Colombian coffee" according to the description. So, it's possible I suppose. Let us know of the results.

Oh, and the coffee snuff sounds interesting.

Burning coffee and the coffee aroma are different. In all of the commercial tobaccos that attempted coffee flavors, they tend to miss the mark, IMO. Coffee is also an odd bird in that you can place coffee beans in a stinky room to deodorize it, and it can be used when smelling different aromas to clear your nose palate. It may be that coffee aromas work differently than other aromas. I would think that if a tobacco did hit the mark on making a coffee aroma, that the company may have had to use some weird chemicals to make it happen. IMO
I do love coffee, but I will stick to drinking it while I smoke, as opposed to smoking it.

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
That's the problem with some aromatics, Cosmic. They are not natural infusions of what it says it smells like, but a chemical aroma profile similar to what it says it smells like that's added to the tobacco. That said, my search turned up Cornell & Diehl's Espresso, Peter Stokkebye 315 Black Coffee, Sutliff Cappuccino, and many others. I'm not an aro smoker, but now my interest has been piqued to see if any of them work.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Heh, Cosmic!
And, edwin, cappuccino flavored! Do the makers know there's dairy in cappuccini? Eeeeeewwwww.
Great question and as a coffee addict, I await more info.

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
jpmcwjr, I'm sure the folks over at Sutliff use skim milk for that particular blend, so no pipe smoker need worry about their diet. Hahaha.

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
Hahaha. I can just imagine the posts, chasingembers.

"New PAD and ICAD (Ice Cream Acquisition Disorder)."

Hi. I just purchased a Savinelli Spring 320KS and two 100g tins of Ben & Jerry's English Muffin (a mild english ice cream with virginia and latakia swirls, plus, well, muffins) and a 8oz tin of Häagen-Dazs Full Virginia Sherbet.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Edwin- Quite right! But it's the taste I was concerned with! I hate skim milk but not as badly as other "diet treats" that use fake shit in them.

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
I know. It again comes down to what the companies say it smells like. They named it cappuccino but the toppings are coffee and chocolate (no different than the McClelland Colombian Mocha). I'd hate to imagine them topping it with actual cappuccino. Ugh!

And I have to say, your comment reminds me very much of a Ron Swanson quote. "There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim Milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk."

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
What if tobacco was rehydrated with a coffee dampened paper towel? I use spirits with this method to flavor with rum and scotch with some success.

Reactions: ChippewaAce

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I think you would have success if you infused alcohol with coffee and then used that.

http://boozedandinfused.com/2012/05/05/coffee-bourbon/

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
Good point Andy, that looks delicious. I wonder if you could just use coffee liqueur like Tia Maria or Kahlua? Could be too sugary to smoke I suppose.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I will try soaking a piece of terra-cotta in espresso, sticking it in a bag of fairly dry baccy. That should do something! Maybe not good, but something.

Status
Not open for further replies.