PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I just came back from voting in the Primary. On my way in to my polling place, I walked past a lady with a petition on her clipboard. She was making her pitch to someone who just came out from voting, and I overheard her say "tobacco tax". The tobacco Nazi's think Missouri is way behind the other states because our tobacco tax is still very low, comparatively. When I was done voting I approached her so she could start her little speech, and when she got to the part about them wanting to increase the tobacco tax from 17 cents to 60 cents per yada yada yada, I held up my hand and told her I'm very happy with where the tax is now because I smoke tobacco pipes all day long, in my house, whenever I feel like it....short silence from her....uh okay, thanks for your time. I wish I was as eloquent as Mso, or Cosmic, or Cigrmaster so I could have said something greatly more satisfying, but I just walked on.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I wish they'd all add another $4 a pack of tax on cigarettes. Then more people would switch to pipes and pipe tobacco, increasing overall demand, which in turn would generate more income potential, which in turn would create even more tobacco blends from which to choose, and a return of the local B&M to support all the new demand.
Don't believe me? How many "Vape Shops" are there today? What if those were all Briar and Burley shops instead? :puffpipe:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
mcitinner1, with a straight face and some serious meanness, you should have told that lady that if the tobacco tax went through, you would find her and then burn her house down with my pipe lighter. After she reacts, you should have said, I am not kidding and if you are in the house when it burns, all the better. lololol
Wouldn't you just haved loved to do that.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Freaking nanny liberals. I doubt such an idiotic proposition can pass here, but there are a whole lot a takers and fewer and fewer makers. I will reflexively vote NO

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
When exiting from the voting center today, my wife and I didn't run into the tobacco tax petition group, instead we ran into the legalize medical marijuana petition group.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
jmatt: Careful what you wish for. When "they" are done wringing all "they" can out of cigarettes, pipes and tobacco will most likely become even more attractive for raising revenues. The "they" are after money and probably have no desire to bring cigarettes to extinction which would defeat the purpose of the taxes. "They" simply use the anti-tobacco folks to leverage the tax increases.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Mcitinner1, They keep pushing for higher tobacco taxes in the Show Me State, and the voters keep rejecting them. The bloody do-gooders have scored some wins with smoking bans, but Missourians have held the line on the tax front.
I wish they'd all add another $4 a pack of tax on cigarettes. Then more people would switch to pipes and pipe tobacco, increasing overall demand, which in turn would generate more income potential, which in turn would create even more tobacco blends from which to choose, and a return of the local B&M to support all the new demand.
Don't believe me? How many "Vape Shops" are there today? What if those were all Briar and Burley shops instead? [:puffpipe:]
Jmatt, Warren is right. I fear that what you would then see is more bloody do-gooders turning their gaze to the tiny minority that are pipe smokers. If you can beat the cigarette smokers and businesses that provide their smokes, then the pipe smokers could be trampled with nary a fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.