PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
Over the years I've bought several estate pipes. Of course the briar of many were rather rough, the top of the pipe stained and scorched, while the balance of the briar was dull and dry looking.
Rubbing Alcohol and fine steel wool did a great job of cleaning the char off the top of the pipe. But what a job Min Wax did to restore (or maybe improve) the appearance of the briar. I simply open a can of Min Wax Wood Finish Paste and apply the wax with my fingers. I then take an old terry clothe rag and wipe it off. WOW! The rich finish last for a long time before needing to be reapplied.
I just bought an estate pipe the other day for $8.00. I was amazed at how beautiful this ragged pipe became.
Give it a try

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Minwax does make a pipe look good. Minwax has a stain and a sealer in it both. I used it on the first pipe or two I restored, however many discourage the use of a petroleum based product. I don't know so much about all that but a sealer would inhibit the ability for the pipe to breathe fully possibly. I do like to apply carnauba wax from time to time for a new shine. For some reason I just feel like letting the pipe breathe is important for drying it out between smokes. It might be in my head but a pipe smokes better when its set for a spell.
I have one pipe I believe someone put something like polyurethane on it. It looks quite shiny but its staying shiny too long to be plain wax. Also there is a spot near the top which due to heat has the sheen flattened out. A painted pipe turns me off a little. I like a natural finish pipe too. Many suggest Fiebing's for staining. See This Thread for more info.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
It's believed the some of the chemical (solvent) residues use to make furniture stains can vaporize when heated and cause health risks. That's why the usual recommendation for staining is alcohol based dyes. The alcohol evaporates leaving no solvent residue behind. It does require that you buff on a wax protection to get a good luster. Furniture stains likely pose some risk of exposure to toxins that my cause you to rethink their value. As with most things it's the cumulative exposure over time that is likely to cause a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.