Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Our Featured Interview on The Pipes Magazine Radio Show tonight is with Mike Butera. Mike has had a great influence in the business of pipe making, tobacco blending and cigar making. He has been at it for over 30-years. He is a pipe maker, and tobacco blender for pipes and cigars.
mike-butera-pipe.jpg

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
The interview with Mike was enlightening and it's plain to see that he's a man that's grounded and committed to turning out a product that he's proud to stamp his name onto. We are fortunate to have him and many other legendary American carvers to choose from. I hope someday to be able to own and smoke one of his creations.

thedudeabides

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
I have had he pleasure of meeting Mr. Butera at two pipe shows and found him to be a true gent. His dedication to quality and his perfectionism are legendary.

riffraff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
South Carolina
Mike Butera is an interesting guy and truly a master craftsman. I find it fascinating that he uses just files to shape his pipes. The mentorship within the global pipe-making community is impressive. It is this mentorship that preserves the techniques used to craft functional works of art. I find it refreshing that he is so open with his methods, techniques, and "secrets".
I can't wait to hear his second interview regarding his blending and tobaccos. Brian and Kevin, you have mastered the art of "keep them wanting more"!
I also appreciate the clarification of the different types of tobacco in Pipe Parts. I too listened to the podcast that Trailboss mentioned and was left with the same sense of confusion and doubt. I don't want to bash another podcast, but I can count on this one to set things straight.
Always a fan!

riffraff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
South Carolina
To give that other Podcast props: They updated and clarified their information on the latest episode. So, not only are we listeners to the Pipes Magazine Radio Show, it appears that the hosts of the other Podcast are as well! :)

jhhicks

Lurker
Jul 3, 2013
Indiana
The Mike Butera interview was loads of fun to listen to. I was surprised to hear how many pipes he made before he decided to try to sell one. That's dedication! I wish I could have got one of those $75 pipes!
The pipe parts segment was fascinating. I love Perique - I mean lllooovvveee it! My bother insists that I'm addicted to the stuff. I never realized that it's a burley grown in the St. James parish that is then processed. I always thought it was a "perique leaf" that was then processed. Learn something new on every show!
I agree with the pipe cleaner segment from the previous show. I prefer the normal cleaners as opposed to the fluffy or tapered, but I do have all three and find myself using all three in different situations - typically when cleaning my pipes. Oh yeah, now I want to try those Brigham cleaners since you said they were covered on both ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.