PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
In the Cornell and Diehl video,Chris Tarlar can be heard to say that they treat the raw tobacco with Microban. He describes it as "a food grade antifungal". As far as I know, and I certainly could be entirely wrong, Microban is not approved for use in food. It is approved for use to sanitize food preparation and storage surface, but not for use in food.
What is Microban? Microban is closely related to triclosan, a antimicrobial that has been in use for over 30 years. But it is certainly not without problems. I'll let you research Triclosan yourself, but let's just say that it doesn't belong in the food chain.
So, the idea that tobacco is treated directly with Microban, is, to say the least, unsettling. Drawing burning triclosan in to your mouth and bloodstream is potentially very hazardous to your health.
I emailed C&D about this last week, and they did not get back to me.
Again, I could be off base here. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9. L.

Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The first thing I do when reading a "scientific" study is look for who paid for it. In this case:
Beyond Pesticides/National Coalition Against the Misuse of Pesticides
. Enough said for me.

C&D are among the most responsible blenders in the world so I'm not concerned in the least. Could I be wrong? Won't be the first or last time but for now I'll stick with them.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I suggested that you do your own research.

There is plenty of it, from all sides, on triclosan.
The questions are open ended and simple:

Is Microban used on C&D as Chris says?

Is it approved for use on tobacco?

Is it safe to burn and ingest?
I'm not taking a position on this, because I don't have enough information. But if I smoked C&D (or any other tobacco treated with Microban), I'd want to know the answers to those questions.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
It appears that Microban is FDA approved for food contact items. Use on tobacco may be a gray area as it is not a food bit it's use in water filters is approved.

It will be interesting to hear what you learn from C&D. Please keep us posted.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Thats where i remembered hearing that name! Checked my water purifier that we use for interior canoe camping.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Yes, the really interesting thing about Microban is that they found a way to incorporate it into impervious surfaces to make them antimicrobial. Thus, you'll see it in water filter housings, which tend to accumulate a biofilm. But Microban is also manufactured as a stand-alone product, a liquid concentrate. That is what gets used on countertops, floors, etc. and what I assume (ass of you and me) gets used on tobacco.
@Perique: Yes, but you are also smoking whatever else gets added to the tobacco.

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
Wow I have a lot of Pirate Kake and Da Vinci stock piled too. I have some small tins of Black Duck, and Black Frigate. My luck it is probably the microban that makes it taste so good. Kind of sucks to hear this stuff sometimes.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Perique
  • Guys, we're smoking tobacco....
:rofl: Ya! There's only like 800 harmful chemicals in it. Microban should be the least of our concerns.
...but I'm glad some folks are at least thinking about stuff like this. It keeps producers on their toes.

auslander

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2013
I'd be concerned about any additives to Tobacco, just because it's already harmful doesn't give manufacturers/suppliers license to add more potentially harmful chemicals. I find that one of the attractions of pipe tobacco is that it is not loaded up with the mile long list of crap that goes into cigarette tobacco.
I don't even like the fact that it has humectant added in a lot of cases.
I would strongly wish that if anything is added at all, including the casing used to even out VA, it should be LISTED on the packaging. The consumer has the right to know. If the Governments of the world seem to think it necessary that we be informed in big bold letters of the carcinogenic nature of the product we enjoy, then surely the same thinking of consumer protection must be applied to the knowledge of the additives therein.
Good looking out Woodsroad

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
C&D is the blender for other brands so I'm sure other blenders do similar things, maybe Russ can comment. If getting the word changes something that would be good news. But their is chemicals in nearly everything we take in on a daily basis so I just try to eat well, crack a smile and try to enjoy my life. What comes will come.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I have to agree that in this day and age, when so much is far beyond our control, that often sane thing to do in the face of potential problems is to pray for the best and move on. I am in no way a fan of big government or the nanny state, either... however....there are areas where (I think) government involvement is essential. Where products effect our health and welfare, government has a responsibility to educate, inform and advise the consumer, and to keep harmful substances out of our environment (including ingestion!).
(The US Gov't attack on tobacco and the Tobacco Settlement does not reflect this altruistic mission, and IMHO helps nobody but politicians.)
I am not inferring that C&D products are any more harmful than smoking your own, organically raised tobacco.
I'm saying that I don't know what is harmful, but that I don't like the idea of smoking Microban (or any other unlisted tobacco additive).

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is curious. I assume most tobacco blends are treated with something, I guess it was good of C&D to disclose this. I'm familiar with microban in that it is impregnated in plastic contact surfaces of some restaurant equipment (Hobart uses it on the plastic trim pieces on their food slicers)
I hear the poster on "it's tobacco, we're smoking it".
But, if I sprayed some DDT or similar on tobacco and asked you to put it in your pipe and smoke it, would you?

My answer would be: not a chance.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
I'm a bit unclear here about whether or not the BURNING of Microban is also approved to be "breathable" by the FDA. Apparently whatever state it is in when applied to tobacco, that much seems to be "okay" for storage and maybe even okay to be ingested or eaten (as when used with foods)...But I want to know the effects of said Microban when it's burned.

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
It's a good thing Woodsroad to speak up and bring it to peoples attention as a way to make a change. The US Senate made changes to the “Monsanto Protection Act” when hundreds of thousands of people participated in a global protest known as the March Against Monsanto. The company was even named 2013’s “most evil corporation”.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Thanks, Easygoer.
I just want to be clear that I'm not out to vilify anyone, and I'm in no way inferring that C&D or anyone else is doing something underhanded, deceptive, harmful or wrong.

May 31, 2012
The biggest concern I have regarding this would be any possible effect on the aging process.
I love C&D tobaccos, and to my palate, they're definitely one of the most "all natural" tasting producers that I've tasted.
Microban is mostly alcohol with a small amount of Chloroxylenol as the antifungal agent, so if any absorption of the chemical actually occurs, it'd be in small trace amounts --- let it be known that Triclosan is commonly used in ice-making equipment as an antimicrobial, so should I be afraid to order an iced drink at dinner?
Courmarin has a scary history with the scientific health reporting and was largely replaced by tobacco producers with synthetic substitutes, but what about SG 1792? They say it's Tonquin and if so, it's supposedly a heath concern.
Some countries require ingredient lists by law, for this reason there exists a database by British American Tobacco about the Dunhill blends, current for 2011...
...Royal Yacht I've never smoked, but some folks say its got Tonka in it, others say nay it don't --- after looking at the ingredient list, I'd say it's probably got Cassia bark oil as a main flavor...
They provide a flavor list
...as well as an ingredients composite
You can also look at a specific blend,

for example, here's Royal Yacht:

Tobacco 79.7%

Water 17%

Propylene glycol 2.8%

Potassium sorbate 0.185%

Ethyl acetate 0.150%

Sodium benzoate 0.085%

Flavouring 0.062%

Benzoic acid 0.009%
...or Dunhill Flake

Tobacco 76.3%

Water 17%

Propylene glycol 3.1%

Glycerol 2%

Sugar, invert 1%

Potassium sorbate 0.166%

Lactic acid 0.133%

Sodium benzoate 0.085%

Flavouring 0.083%

Benzoic acid 0.009%
Whatever C&D uses is much better than PG.
This has been a public service announcement.
C&D is safe for your consumption.
I approve this message.
:)

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Good point on the aging process being impacted by additives.

If someone is expecting continued microbial activity to ferment and flavor the processed tobacco, well, it's not going to happen with Microban, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate in the mix.
Thanks for the links.

Status
Not open for further replies.