PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
I have a few pipes that have stems and bowls that are a little dirtier than the norm. I have heard of fellas using Micro Mesh sanding pads with great success, both to scrub up the stem and do light work on the bowl. I checked the local hardware stores around here recently and came up with nothing. I was told to check a lumber yard but the closest one is hours away. I am even having some difficulty finding this stuff online. Does anyone know where the &!#% I can find this stuff?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
They work great on stems.

I bought the smaller pad set from Woodcraft, the "pen" size. The next time I need a supply, I'll get the larger 3" x 4" pads.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080765/29707/MicroMesh-3-x-4-Soft-Touch-Pads.aspx
Larger size, individual sheets can be purchased here:

http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/abrasives/micromesh.htm

revs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
Utah
Amazon or any woodworking supply store typically have them. Used a lot by pen makers.

Jul 15, 2011
Use them with water and you can take the nastiest of oxidized stems to looking like black glass.
Thank god! I finall found a place to buy it! Now my question is, how do you go about using it? Do you use all grades or just a few of them?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I started at 2400 than skipped every other grade until 8k, than 12k.

I use a light oxy-clean/water solution. (and also to soak)

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Which to use depends on the condition of the stem.

I'll do the same as brother jones mentioned but on really bad estates, ya know the ones that are damn near khaki in color, I'll use all 9 grits.
I've tried bleach and OxyClean soaks and I personally have not seen much advantage to using any of them.

I simply have a small bowl of water, dip the stem in it and dip the pad in it and start sanding. I keep the stem wet while sanding and dry it off to see how it looks before going to the next grit.
When your done take the pads that you have used and give them a quick wash with regular dish soap and water, rinse and let em dry. The pads from the first set I opened still look and work like new and they have seen a lot of use.
The pads work equally well on briar. Used the same, with water, amazing how an abused bowl can be spruced up with em'!

Status
Not open for further replies.