PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
I was gifted some of this tobacco by a friend from England. This is the Orlik variety. Upon opening the packet and sticking my nose in, I caught a pleasant light anise and rum note. The rock hard brick was almost completly black. I had a strong desire to chew off a piece. I removed the brick and peeled a layer from the top, or maybe it was the bottom. It was fairly moist so I set the flake (?) aside for an hour of so. I tried ripping the flake apart without much success so I broke out a sharp knofe and began slicing and dicing and finally ended up with something that looked like pipe tobacco. It was still on the moist side so I packed the pipe with a light touch. Drawing through the un-lit pipe, I got the taste of good grade Virginia along with a faint anise flavor.

Now for the match. High grade tobacco flavor. The anise disappeared into the background almost completely and the rum note was gone. After about a quater bowl, I joined the rum. This stuff IS NOT for beginners. I smoke black ropes with some regularity and have no problem with them but this had my head spinning. I didn't get the hiccups but I had a hard time finding my backside, even with my hands in my hip pockets. One group 4 sized bowl lasted me 2 1/2 hours because I relit the thing several times.

I must find something to send to England for revenge. Perhaps some pine bark soaked in the swamp.

I'll smoke up what he sent but won't procure anymore.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Thanks for the review Chuck. I really want to try plug tobacco, and I have yet to find a tobacco too strong.

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I don't know if I want to try it and feel the experience for myself or just let you be the one who experiments it lol. Sounds like a good one if your into knocking your socks off with nicotine.

rbergum95

Lurker
Apr 28, 2010
wow, gimme 2 bowls of that plus whatever the lady at the end of the bar is having................

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
I enjoy McQuaid Plug, but I also smoke it in a small bowl.

It's a good smoke, as long as you respect it.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Send him some Brown Mule Plug or Cotton Boll .It was commen practice for old time miners to chew by day and smoke by night .

Status
Not open for further replies.