PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
My 2016 commission will be an astronomy inspired large squat straight bulldog using meteorite material in the design. Here are his ideas... This should be seriously cool.
"Okay I think that we should stick with this idea of a Space Dog, in fact I love it! Totally cool and I think that I can pull it off so that the key elements are present while the design maintains its integrity. Please see attached some quick notes that I made re the shape. Oh and btw this is The shape that I would most prefer to work with.

I have made many different Bulldogs and Saucers but I think that this Dunhill is the way to go. It has a real 'spaceship' quality. I am picturing it with a sandblasted top and smooth lower half.

The grooves on the bowl can possibly be inlaid with silver or gold....this is something that I think I can make work , and would be interested to attempt.

Further the band on the shank will have to include meteorite...but perhaps some silver/gold dots or something on the band...has a 'space ship' element no?!!

A tamper could possibly be made of meteorite too to match.

As for stem I list on my notes a spiked black and cream ebonite, the ivory celluloid, translucent grey acrylic (though it gets dirty with smoking) or black ebonite....although I may be able to come up with something else too."

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I'm looking forward to seeing this. The squat straight bulldog is my favorite shape too. I prefer mine with a saddle stem. What kind of stem will this one have?

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Stan, I believe we'll doing a diamond shape similar to the one we've used as inspiration for this pipe. I just recently bought this Dunhill, love at first sight. Parks really loves classic Dunhill shapes so I told him I wanted his take of this shape. He always has awesome and original ideas and uses unusual materials. I asked him to use meteorite material. He had the idea of using base precious metals, created by supernova, and fitting with my theme of an astronomy inspired Bulldog, aka "The SpaceDog Pipe" :)

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
It will be great to see Nate. We have similar tastes for sure. Have you smoked that new Dunhill yet? I actually have a Dunhill inspired commission in progress also.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
No I've not even received it yet. Hopefull next week, coming from Italy. I'm so curious as to what parks has in mind as I've seen nothing of his remotely similar to this. What are you having done and by whom?

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
I'm having a Morta bulldog done by Ryan Alden. In the meantime check out my new Ashton.
004-002-10099-1.jpg

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I've been wanting a Morta pipe as well. It's a really nice material and looks wicked when blasted or smooth. That should be a nice one! And a seriously nice Ashton to boot. I've only recently developed a strong affinity for the squat bulldog, but I'm not a fan of the standard bulldog or even the bent. The straight squat bulldog and the Diplomat are my two go to shapes beyond the tried and true straight billiard which I like well enough. Parks is about to begin work on my commission from beginning of this year, I LG Diplomat with a thick mammoth bone collar. Having a pipe made using your basic idea and a carver/artist to make it happen... Nothing quite like it and I plan on making this a yearly thing. It's such fun!

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Parks makes some of most beautiful pipes around. Can't wait to see it.
Whatever happened to your pipes you sent out for restoration? Still waiting on them, or did I miss the welcome home pictures?

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I agree, Parks is the best North American carver working. I love the guys pipes. You mean that rough shape, hard luck Dunhill DR Billiard I bought from a European seller? Yeah Ric at Briarville did a great job!! It was in really bad shape. Here it is today...

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Wow meteorite. Are you going for the Widmanstatten pattern in nickel-iron?
henbury-widmanstatten.jpg

canyon-diablo-widmanstatten.jpg

I love the idea. Creative and unique. I can't wait to see the finished product. :)

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
This is a photo he sent showing how he sees this pipe shape wise...

I'm not sure what kind of meteorite he has. I'm still waiting to hear back.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
She is a beaut! I have the sister to this pipe, Ashton with tortoise shell stem. They are a rarity.
I've mentioned before that I will pay handsomely when you're done with that Ashton... Right?
-- Pat

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I know I've joined late to this discussion, and please forgive me if it has been posted earlier.
But how in heaven's name is Parks going to carve meteorite? The only specimen I've seen is at the NYC museum of natural history and it was like solid iron.
Is it going to be trim material?

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Allan, I'm VERY curious to see how he does this as well!! If anyone can do it its M Parks. Here's it is with his notes...

Status
Not open for further replies.