PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dherbert510

Lurker
Dec 7, 2015
Hey everyone! I just bought my first pipe today and like any hobby I pick up I like to tinker around with things to understand what I'm working with. When I opened the pipe after an initial smoke (I let it cool completely first) and noticed this little metal slide piece wedged into the tenon. I haven't seen these in any pictures or videos I have looked at. I took it off to clean the pipe and was wondering what the function of this piece is or whether I should remove it for any reason, such as airflow. Also I didn't pay attention when I took it off to the orientation of the piece. Should the slide part face up or down when the pipe is fully assembled. Thanks in advance!
2zfvqs6.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Never use them here either. Can't get a pipe cleaner through the pipe with most of them.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Many pipes by companies like Kaywoodie and Dr. Grabow use stingers. I bought an estate Kaywoodie and sawed the tip of the stinger off to make a more normal airway. I couldn't remove it altogether because the stinger was threaded to match the pipe, thus I was obligated to keep it there. They can be a pain to keep clean but other than that it's a minor nuisance at worst.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
I like one stinger in a pipe. I actually never had any more trouble with cleaning vs a regular pipe. Regular cleaners pass through, if they get stuck in a particular one, just go in stinger side first.

cmclark

Lurker
Mar 15, 2014
I have a no name pipe that had one. It collected too much moisture and I would end up sipping it up. Also, I think it would narrow the smoke stream and cause it to burn my tongue. I almost stopped using it but once I removed it, it became a nice cool "sipper" pipe.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Ditch that stinger. That said, if you buy a Sasieni, old Grabow, or or old Kaywoodie with a stinger, do not make modifications.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The Czech basket pipes that my local sells (which are surprisingly well made, BTW) use that exact stinger. It is installed correctly; the end with the groove in it tapers, but you can't see it because it is inside the tennon. They cut the airflow way too much and turn the pipe into a gurgle-monster. In my opinion, it should be pulled out and discarded, right before you open the airway to 5/32" and funnel the tennon.

Status
Not open for further replies.