PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Saw this poor fellow ambling across the yard during a lull in our rainstorm. Always loved turtles. Anyone know what kind he is? I'm in Connecticut, if that helps.
DSC_0080_zpsmu7iebby.jpg

DSC_0093_zpsdgsokmuj.jpg

DSC_0097_zpscxr8puir.jpg

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
That's what I thought, considering the jagged shell. Don't know anything about turtles, though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Used to meet a turtle now and then in the yard at my first house. I thought it was a tortoise because it had a high shell, and seemed to be mostly a land animal, but later learned it was technically a turtle. It was almost a foot long, so not a juvenile like this one. The cat went after one of them one time, but the turtle very effectively tucked into its shell, and eventually the cat lost interest. I've rescued a turtle or two off the road, by carrying them across where they're headed. I hope they know to stay on the further side once transported.

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
Don't know about Connecticut, but growing up in Ky I was always taught the rule of thumb: "If it has a ridge down it's back, it's a snapper. DON'T TOUCH IT!"

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
All the more reason to want to take the little dude in. Imagine having a well-behaved pet snapper? There'd be a damned dragon monster playing really slow fetch in your living room.
(He's outside, by the way. Bothered him for a minute, let him go on his merry little way.)

Jan 8, 2013
All the more reason to want to take the little dude in. Imagine having a well-behaved pet snapper? There'd be a damned dragon monster playing really slow fetch in your living room.
I would name him Fred and paint a skull on his shell :)

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
A few summers ago I was driving along the river, rounded a curve and saw a turtle in the middle of the road. I stopped, put on my hazard lights, and went to help the fellow. I knew it was a snapper and my grandfather had warned me how long their necks were and that they could easily take your finger off. He would nail their heads to a board in prepping them for dinner. Never did find out how he managed that. Anyway, I grabbed it by the back third of its shell and carried it at arms length 15 feet or so. Had I grabbed it at the midway point he would have got me. No sooner had I touched it, than its head shot halfway down its back with jaws open and SNAP! It was a good 2 foot long from front to back and heavier than I thought it would be. I found out later, that a similar sized one stopped 4 lanes of traffic on the other side of the river as a cop let him take his time to cross the roads.
That's a cute little fellow and should be able to find his way to a river or creek to live in. You probably would need a permit to keep him. Glad you shared the pic. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.