Mellow Virginia (Benson & Hedges) mini review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
In my attempt to try all of the OTC blends available in my little corner of Cornwall I was wary of buying this particular baccy simply because it was a Benson & Hedges product which brought back bad memories of very bland cigarettes. I needn't have worried though, there is nothing bland about MV.
Upon opening the pouch I scrunched up the mid brown shreds and sniffed the contents and was pleasantly surprised......vanilla was the prominent aroma for me with just a hint of citrus fruit and sherry sweetness.
Packing was a doddle as it is more of a ribbon cut than a ready rubbed though it was a tad overly moist for my liking which seems the way with most baccys I have bought. This is usually solved by air drying on an old copper pub tray for an hour or two.
Fired it up and tugged away until I got a decent burn in the bowl. The vanilla I smelled in the pouch was still there along with sherry/wine hints and mid bowl a nutty/woody taste became very apparent which was very pleasant.
A couple of relights were required to keep the party going though I have now got the drying time just to perfection that relights are not too frequent now I am familiar with the blend.
Some folks have compared this to St. Bruno and I suppose I can see that though MV is by far more fruity and overall a better smoke. I personally think that the name of this blend is somewhat misleading as my understanding of 'mellow' is something soft or gentle, not that this baccy is harsh or severe in anyway, it is in my view pretty much a full bodied and mature smoke.
It is now many months since I first tried MV and along with Condor (ready rubbed & long cut) and Erinmore flake it has become a permanent fixture in my box of baccy blends.
Don't be put off by the fact this is an OTC blend that the pipe snobs would suggest equates to being a dull smoke as dull it most certainly is not. Definitely a 7/10 ranking to me.
I don't know if this is available openly in the States though I am aware it does have a following there so go on be a devil and treat yourself, you know you want to :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Another great review, mate. I'll have to see if I can find this in the States. Sounds perdy good! Does it have some of the floral nuances that St. Bruno has?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks Hawky, no, there are no Lakeland florals to this blend, just good honest tobacco. Try and dig some out, you may well like it. Strength wise I would rate it as medium though full in the taste department. As for room note I really wouldn't have a clue, nobody here to ask :?
Regards,
Jay.

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
Room note is pleasant chaps, I use to mix it 2 to 1 with Gold Block in years gone by, just gave it a bit of bite.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Oh dear Kim, I personally found Gold Block to be very dull indeed. Rather akin to cheap cigarette tobacco but hey ho, each to his/her own eh?
I have recently been experimenting with mixing equal quantities of St. Bruno Flake with other blends because on its own I find that to be somewhat insipid.
Regards,
Jay (ex biker).

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Benson & Hedges, wow, haven't heard that name in decades. They used to sell their cigarettes in the USA long ago, along with a ton of advertising. Then they disappeared.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Dear Gentlemen, mind my asking,is this very B&H Mellow Virginia somewhat similar to Player's Navy cut flake tobacco?Yet a world about Condor Ready Rubbed,am I wrong assuming its being a stronger and more pungent than these forementioned British tobaccos?Thank You for tipping me off, Paul

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hello Paul, I personally have no experience with Player's Navy Cut Flake so cannot advise in that regard. As for Condor Ready Rubbed yes I would personally think it is slightly stronger than Mellow Virginia, also it has more depth of flavour. Both blends are permanent fixtures in my baccy box.
Hope this answers your questions Paul.
Regards,
Jay.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Good Morning Dear Jay,and thank you for your reply in time,

now when the exchange rate of Brithish sterling pound is more favorable, I am thinking of buying some tobaccos there

I do love good ol brithish style tobaccos,althouhg even if i wanted, I'm not in love with latakia mixtures which in many cases I find a bit too pungent to my likings,perhaps execept for that famous Presbyterian mixture and German HU tobacco English Breakfast mixture, Have a Grat week there in Britain, Paul
Finl-eu

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Paul, I also am not a lover of latakia, to me it smells of body odour!
However there are plenty of good British blends to be had without any latakia content.
Regards,
Jay.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Hi Jay ,yes that is sure
Ps, I'm looking into French and Belgium Semois tobacco, that fast burning dynamite-srenght with Gauloise cigarettes like flavour- I do find they may fill the bill when time is short and nicotine is needed,yet seem to be very hard to get by,available mainly only in France and belgium)Yet I do like those rare English oriental types tobaccoes such as Robert Lewis Orcilla mix and Presbyterian with minimum lat.content in it, there are so many classics to try

Have a Nice evening there I UK, Paul

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Grabbed a bag earlier when at the shop. I've had it many times and it is in the top 3 UK otc blends. Figured I'd take some snaps as the original review didn't have one.. ;)

It's great stuff for a simple otc blend. Better than alot of va blends produced by big names! I'd be curious to hear what you chaps across the pond think.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
the Cut looks the same like Amphora regular, sad thing is that Today no UK retailer wants to sell to continental Eu region their stuff justifying the tobacco trade laws in England had tighten since past may, I think this particular blend may be good to try alongside with many other great english tobaccos that are not availöable in continental Eu region nor in Scandinavian countries,Shall I take a round ticket trip to England eventually,,

Status
Not open for further replies.