PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I have been in New York for the last couple of days on business and pleasure and on Thursday afternoon I met famed pipesmagazine member Allan (and his friend Roger) at De La Concha in Manhattan. I was just coming from a meeting, and didn't have time to go back to the hotel and fetch my pipes, so I just had a cigar. What an enjoyable discussion we had for an hour or so. It was a bit like a blind date (or a meeting in a John LeCarre novel), since neither of us knew what the other looked like. Turns out we were in the store for 20 minutes before we figured out that the other person was also there. Thanks for taking the time Allan - I do appreciate it.

Dec 24, 2012
Yes, I believe they have a closed circuit security camera there. Retrieving the pics is beyond my pay grade though.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Ya know, I would have posted earlier but darn work got in the way. LOL
For those of you who know Peck as an acerbic, witty tongued fellow might be surprised to learn that he in reality is actually a really heck of a nice guy. I just have trouble believing that with his enormous pipe and tobacco collection, he left them all at his hotel and resorted to smoking a cigar ( not that there is anything wrong with that)

We had a great time and frankly was quite sorry to have to leave to get back to work Hopefully when Dean is in town again we will get to go to dinner at Peter Lugers or maybe Katzs Deli!
No pics because I believe he wants to remain in anonminity (sp?) so you guys will have to still wonder what he looks like. Hint: looks very much like his avatar

Dec 24, 2012
It was kind of funny. When I spoke to Allan on the phone and we agreed to meet at this location, he said "Do you look like your avatar?". I said "Uh . . . Allan . . . you know my avatar is Robert Downey Jr. don't you?" There was silence on the end of the line.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Sounds like a great time! I've met a few guys from the forum, but most use their pics as an avatar, except for politicalmonster and oldpops41(who I've known for quite some time).

Status
Not open for further replies.