PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
All I know is make sure its high quality block. I baught one that was pressed and about 6 bowls in it cracked from the stem around the bowl, cutting it in half. :crying:

sirsmokesalot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2012
North Carolina
That's what I need to know. How do you tell what is high quality?

I need to find a reputable maker and dealer.

I couldn't even find one on smokingpipes.com

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
There are some fine ones to be found on Ebay but there's also a lot of junk. This place is a good start.
Altinok

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
On the box or case it comes in it should say block meerschaum. If it doesn't say that don't buy it. There are a couple of good suggestions already, but you can also check your local B&M and most of the sponsors sell a few meers as well.

Jul 12, 2011
Check in with Fred, he is "Meer Man" otherwise great advice...must be from block, I have a few IMP meers that are rock steady now for over a year...purchased from smokingpipes.com

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
Glad to be of help. And thesmokindragon is correct, seek out Fred on here, a true meer expert. :puffy:

martin

Might Stick Around
Apr 26, 2011
I got a nice big IMP meer from an ebay seller in Turkey.

Only cost me about $90 and is a great pipe. Smokes well and a full bowl is a

long smoke. Every pipe smoker should own at least one meer.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
IMP meers are great. I had one and it was one of my best smoking pipes but unfortunately due to some economic problems I had to sell it. I miss that pipe! One of the best features of IMPs is that they feature a push-in tenon, just like a briar pipe, giving them a nice open draw. The meers with screw-in tenons are not nearly as good.
Smokey

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I have a Paykoc Meer, also from Turkey. It is probably not the quality of an Altinok, but it is a good pipe with a big bowl and also features a push-in tenon.

sirsmokesalot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2012
North Carolina
I've been looking at these IMP pipes and I'm gonna have to save some

cash to buy one of them. The ones I've seen are in the $175-$200 range.

But....You get what you pay for!

recoilrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2011
Ser Jacopo used to make some nice ones, I have an apple. But I see they seem to no longer do it. Perhaps they have been cut off form the supply of block.

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
Since we're discussing meers, here's one of my favorites. :puffy:
Beard3.jpg

Beard1.jpg

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Since the Turkish government passed laws banning the export of Sepiolite in 1961 (Collectible Pipes by Jean Rebeyrolles), the carving of Meerschaum has been pretty much restricted to Turkey. Some manufacturers have found a way to deal with this by having the Block carved in Turkey, while having the Pipes assembled elsewhere. Others have simply commissioned Pipes to be carved in Turkey and sold them under their brand names.

mike68

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2011
I bought an AND Meerschaum from: www.meerchaum.com and have been very happy with it. I bought a large and it is truly that.
Check them out if you like, I'd say for the money they are a good option..

Status
Not open for further replies.