PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Two entirely different animals. Some will think one smokes cooler. Others will say one or the other produces more flavor. All I can say for sure is that a meer is more brittle than a brier. To me, they are two distinctly different experiences so I cannot make a fair comparison.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I've recently become intrigued with meerschaum pipes. My grandpa used to smoke one, and the picture of him with it, looks like it tastes amazing!
My grandpa, like Ray47 said, was an aromatic smoker. I however, haven't found an aromatic I can smoke.
Are meerschaums as heavy as they look? I can't see clenching one for very long...

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I picked up an IMP Meer this last week and it smokes cooler, drier and cleaner than any briar pipe I own. It's simple to compare the last two elements by counting the number of pipe cleaners I've used after smoking. With the meer it's always 1, whereas I'm usually in the neighborhood of 3-5 with a quality briar.
As to taste and flavor development, the flavors from the tobacco are the same it's just the backdrop that changes. This had a more profound impact than I expected. I hadn't realized how much briar (including cake) flavors the smoke until it was absent. Of course, the flavor stands out like a sore thumb in a new and naked bowl but with break in and a decent, but not copious cake... :idea:
Contrary to what I've read about meer, it does have it's own flavor, but it is mild. Take two glasses of water, drop a gravel stone in one and a walnut in the other and I think that gets you in the ballpark.
I can absolutely imagine a scenario in which the colorations inherent to briar add and enhance the flavor profile of a blend in a way that a meer can't match. I don't see either material as superior or inferior. However I do like the experience meerschaum provides and see myself exploring the avenue with zeal.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've owned one Meerschaum to this point, it never really caught attention and I sold it several years ago (SMS brand pipe).
Guys in my local club always seem have at least one meer with them and they just look so good that I thought I might want to revisit meerschaum. Tonight, thanks to bonehed, I found a GBD meer. So,I'll let you know in a week or so my experience.

anarchisthermit

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2015
If you want to hate on meers,buy a cheap one. Remember Storient? I have one IMP and four Altinoks. I also have about 2 dozen good briars (bad ones get thrown into the wood stove), and even more cobs. And I am thankful that I do not have to choose one type only. I have had absolutely wonderful smokes out of all of them.
Do not be afraid of meer handling and upkeep. I do not find them particularly fragile,but then again I have never dropped one on a cement floor. Since the coloration is of no importance to me,I have never rewaxed mine and they are coloring at their own pace.

moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
Meerschaum really absorbs moisture - just lick your finger and run it around the inside of the bowl and it's a weird feeling as all the moisture is immediately sucked into the meerschaum. For that reason meerschaum provides a far drier smoke than briar. Not that moisture is necessarily a problem with briar. But if you are a wet smoker or smoke wet tobaccos and it interferes with your enjoyment then definitely do try a meeschaum.
I also agree with the above post that meerschaum is not at all as fragile as people seem to think. There's a video on YouTube somewhere with Walt Cannoy throwing meerschaum at the floor and trying to break pieces in his hand. It's a strong enough material. I think as well that most meerschaum pipes these days are quite large and made from big blocks with thick walls - they're not fragile at all. That's a downside too, because they are heavy as a result, even though the meerchaum floats on water, and they colour more slowly. But that's nothing to do with the material, it's to do with the pipemakers and what they are making.
The meerschaum pipes made today don't have the same finesse and attention to detail as briar pipes tend to. I don't know quite why, but that's what's available and you just have to accept it if you want a meerschaum. Stems, in particular, are not made to the same quality and fineness as those you would find on briars. But meerschaum pipes are also relatively cheap compared to briars, considering the rarity of the material. Even the best available meerschaums tend to be in the $250 price range.
I'm mainly a briar smoker but I really enjoy my few meerschaums as well. It's worth trying one at some point. Every pipe smoker ought to have at least one meer.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
In defense of briars, over time they sweeten and evolve into wonderful things.. Fred Hanna talked about this and many other things in the podcast (I think, maybe it was someone else).

moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
That's an interesting point about the taste of the briar improving over time. To be honest, it isn't my personal experience and I tend to enjoy the taste of the first smoke in a new pipe the most. Maybe it's because I don't dedicate pipes to a certain blend, or maybe my taste buds just aren't like others have. I find it hard to really have a clear opinion about this phenomenon or be sure if it is real and noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.