PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I like to think that I have a fairly high tolerance to nicotine, but after just finishing a bowl of Irish Oak in my new I.M.P. apple, I can barely stand. 8O When smoking the same tobacco in a similar sized briar, I get that nice mellow feeling, but nothing like this! Any similar experiences?

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I seriously doubt that it had anything to do with smoking IO in a meerschaum. More likely than not it was just your metabolism at that particular time. I've had certain blends that have never bothered me in the least, but on very rare occasions I've had them sneak up on me. Like said... it all depends on your metabolism at any given time.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Yeah, if I'm going to get that kind of hit I'd rather it be from alcohol rather than nicotine. Don't let it spook ya off from smoking IO again in a meerschaum. Actually, IO is known for it's high nicotine content which wouldn't turn me off, but I personally don't care for it all that much.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Funny you mention it. I have an old meer bulldog that I've only smoked a few times, but every time I do my usual burleys knock my socks off. I can't think of why meerschaum would have an effect on the nicotine uptake, though.
Ofx6MCJ.png

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I hear ya, phil. A kick like that is much more pleasant from alcohol. May see what happens with one of my burley blends, pitchfork, to see if there is any significance to meer nicotine amplification. I am terribly analytical. May make a study of it, and document the findings.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I smoked the meer last night, just as a test -- I wonder if in this case it isn't due to frequent puffing. For whatever reason, this pipe doesn't stay lit very well -- draft hole is in the bottom of the bowl and goes downward a bit toward the airway of the shank (common in meers of this age), so maybe I've just been overcompensating to keep it lit. Maybe.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Smoking Elizabethan in my I.M.P. right now. May be a blend specific phenomena. Will try Irish Oak again later today to see if I can repeat the effect.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I'd suspect you're either over pulling or smoking more quickly to compensate for something with the new pipe. I suppose you might be enjoying the benefit of a nice industrial solvent, lube or dye or something but it's probably just a change in technique. How does the draught diameter compare to your usual pipes?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I did enjoy it somewhat, just didn't expect it. Haven't been hit by nicotine like that since the first time I smoked a cigarette when I was 16.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
@bigpond

Very open draw, and it took around 70-75 minutes to finish the pipe. No technique change that I can think of. Been keeping the same piping habits for about 24 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.