PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

josiah

Lurker
Nov 16, 2013
Cornwall
Hi Folks!

I'm new here and just learning my way round the forum so please redirect me if I'm in the wrong place.

Just wanted to post a little review of my recent experience with Meerschaum Market - an online seller that has their own website and also sells through ebay. I have zero affiliation with them, just want to share my impression.

So my wife purchased a nice bent billiard with a very simple design from MM a few months ago for my birthday. I think it took about 10 days to arrive as it had to come all the way from Turkey. I really liked it straight away! The stem is a fairly standard acrylic piece that seems to be pre-molded but nicely finished and comfortable in the mouth. The meerschaum block used seems to be of excellent quality and the overall pipe is very light for its size. The only drawback in build quality is that the little mortise/tenon fixture that connects the bowl to the stem is clearly a mass produced piece and while it works well, it had some rough edges that caused a bit of whistling until I sanded them away. Still, all in all, a lovely pipe.
I smoked it about 5 times before a few hairline cracks began to appear. Nothing gaping - in fact barely visible, but the more I smoked the more extensive they became. I'm very sure that this is good quality meerschaum, and having a few wiser friends look at it, arrived at the conclusion that it must have simply been made from a weak block. I contacted Burak at MM and sent pictures and he felt that the cracks were not of structural significance, but asked me to be in touch if they grew any more. Well, they did, and although the pipe still seemed structurally sound i was getting nervous. So I wrote Burak again and he happily agreed to replace the pipe. I sent him my address and waited several weeks without hearing anything so I got in touch again. It seems that he lost my email the first time, but he was very apologetic and assured that he would get right on to sending a replacement asap. I waited another 2 weeks or so - still nothing. At this point I'm sorry to say I got a bit moody and sent a bit of a sharp email, almost accusing Burak of bad business.

Well, to my joy/shame, my replacement pipe arrived later that day with a note from Burak apologising for the delay. The replacement was very similar to the original and of equal quality. I've had absolutely no trouble with this second pipe. I wrote another email apologising for my impatience and Burak was entirely gracious.
So to sum up - Meerschaum Market sell well-made pipes made from good meerschaum. They seem a little disorganised but I'm confident that they are a trustworthy business and I'll certainly consider buying from them in the future. I just have to remember to be a little patient!

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
I have had a very good experience doing business with him. But one must realise that he sells a wide variety of meers, from low midrange to top. Don't expect too much from the cheapest meers.

josiah

Lurker
Nov 16, 2013
Cornwall
Dangit! I still can't figure out how to post images!
He definitely sells a wide range. The smoother pipes seem like a good option for a guy like me - an excellent smoke without paying much for craftsmanship!

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
Here's your picture. I can't change its size though...
tumblr_n0o86o9ib11s3mdvgo1_1280.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.