PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pflan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2013
So, I was talking to a member on the forums and he volunteered to send me a pipe and some tobacco samples. I received the pipe today and it seems to be pretty nice!

Definitely not complaining here, as I am very grateful, but the pipe is briar with a meerschaum-lined bowl.

the pipe is old and used but the sender buffed it and got it to looking great. The meerschaum around the top is darkened to a brownish tan color, but

The inside of the bowl is blackened completely. I am not sure if this is a cake or what. It feels kind of like it, but if you scrub it.. Nothing.

I thought meerschaum was to be kept clean and not to have a cake built onto it.
If i just wipe the bowl with my finger, I don't even get any black on my finger. Should I try to clean it or.. Is this okay to smoke?
Pictures to come when I figure it out..
Thanks guys.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I am no expert, but I believe any smoked Meer will be black in the bowl and nothing can be done about it.
The key is not not allow cake to build, but from your description, doesn't sound like there's any cake, so I would say smoke away.

pflan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2013
Awesome! Just double-checking guys! He sent me about 5 different English blends to try, so I'm looking forward to getting the ball rolling with it.

I think I'm going to designate that as my English-only pipe.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
One of my better smokers is a Butz Choquin apple with a meer liner. Enjoy your new pipe!

pflan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2013
chispa! Thanks man, been enjoying it! Hopefully I can get some pics on here soon!
Thanks piper!

Status
Not open for further replies.