PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I recently purchased a nice Italian sitter with a broken meerschaum insert for very cheap. I assumed that I could simply access a site and purchase one. Well, my google-fu has failed me. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Here is the pipe in question:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzPFCjWozt4bRGVicV9qU1poYzQ/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzPFCjWozt4bSTNGYmJKeDlFTXc/view?usp=sharing

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
There is no "meerschaumhouse.com". I did try Meerschaum Store, but there are no liners in their product listing, and nothing came up with a site search for "liner".

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-NEW-MEERSCHAUM-INSERTS-CONICAL-FROM-GERMAN-FACTORY-1950-60s-EASY-TO-WORK-OUT-/381069791245?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58b987900d
I have ordered stems from this guy before. I'm in the U.S. Also on pipesreborn blog the guy there will patch them with plaster of paris and has good luck with that.
The walls look decent sized so you could just pull the insert out and build a cake.

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
Pulling the insert may prove to be a little harder than expected depending on how the insert was originally put in. Most makes of briar pipes with inserts drill a hole In the briar that matches the profile of the insert exactly. The insert is then fitted as a solid piece into the hole and put in place with an adhesive. One the adhesive has cured, the bowl is machined out of the meerschaum and then the draught hole is drilled. Most people think the bowl in the briar is machined first and then an insert is put in, but as you see that is not the case.
Fitting a new insert is going to be a challenge. Not only do you have to get all of the old one out without damage to the briar, you are going to have to match it perfectly to the profile of the hole originally drilled in the briar. Not impossible, but definitely a challenge. Then, you are going to have to carve/machine the bowl and drill the air draught hole.
My recommendation is to clean up the bowl and patch it. Check out the pipes reborn blog as Snagstangle suggested. If you need any help or recommendations, let me know.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I may have to put this on the backburner for now. Alternatively, I might simply pass it along to someone who has the time and knowledge and craftsmanship to repair it properly. I'll just chalk this up to a bad purchasing decision and learning experience.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I doubt you will find a liner anywhere. It looks like it's the bottom section. Yes? I have read of fellows using grout as a patch. Stick a pipe cleaner through the draft hole and fill around it. Grout might be heavy though. I'd think you could just use pipe mud to the same effect. Same exact method. It works on the bottom of a regular briar bowl. Should be good here too.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I did some research on "plaster of paris", and came across this article
http://pipesandtobaccosmagazine.com/2013/09/1868/
The part that struck me as odd was this line: "The usual lining [regarding calabash pipes] is plaster of Paris, called by the trade meerschaum." Is this true? Is Meerschaum and Plaster of Paris the same material? If so, could you simply buy a mix of PoP and make your own block to carve?
If this is true, it would be nothing at all, then, to remove the broken meerschaum lining from my pipe, sand/clean the briar bowl, insert a pipe cleaner to prevent the plaster from clogging the hole, and simply line the pipe fresh. I would probably seek to inset small cylinder so as to keep the liner to a 1/8 thickness, and allow you to press the plaster denser..
Regardless, it may be something to consider.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
That article is about myths that people believed at one time but were not, or were probably not true.
Meerschaum is NOT plaster of paris. Although pressed meerschaum, which I think is what most bowl liners are made from, probably does share similar characteristics with PoP. But it isn't the same. And moisture would probably degrade PoP much faster than it does pressed meerschaum.
That doesn't look like an expensive pipe. Do a simple patch.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I knew the characteristics were similar, but was unsure if there was any more of a relation between the products. And yeah, the pipe is very inexpensive. If it were a name brand or higher quality pipe, I would either have it shipped back to the manufacturer, or simply buy a meer insert and ream out a new hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.