PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
Has anyone ever heard of Strambach meerschaum pipes? I have my eye on one but im not sure if its a good maker

jrtaster

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2009
$70 for a NEW strambach?? wow!! didn't check the dimensions of the pipe offered but from the pic it "looks" a bit on the smaller size. strambach enjoys an excellent reputation. i own a strambach gourd calabash and it smokes just fine. i also bought mine from that ebay seller (radicapipes.net) and thought the item, price, and service were first class. seems to be a nice pipe for the $$! jrtaster/john

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Strambach Meerschaum Pipes are carved from Masse or Formed Block. I have no experience with their Pipes other than the Gourd Calabash I own - which is a great Pipe. Artisans outside of Turkey had to get creative with the use of materials after the Turkish government passed laws back in 1961 making it a crime to export Sepiolite. Masse Block is made from the chips and dust left after Block Meerschaum is carved. It is relatively light and it is durable.

arinbjorn

Might Stick Around
Sep 14, 2011
Ah, so you're the fella who scooped up that green Strambach, eh? I hope it is a good pipe for you! I was eyeballing it.
I also found an opportunity for a new Strambach. I was reading on Pipedia about the masse, or formed, meerschaum. Is this the same stuff as the cheaper pressed meerschaum? Their reputation seems excellent, so I have a hard time believing that it is pressed... maybe I'm not understanding the difference between masse/formed meerschaum and pressed meerschaum?
What's more confusing is that the Pipedia does mention the current female pipe maker for Strambach, and says she is a master turner of solid block meerschaum. So now I'm really scratching my head!
If some folks can vouch to it being good, I may trip the trigger yet. I just feel a little confused, myself.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@arinbjorn: Very good questions...I have the same ones myself. I'm sure Fred or someone(s) here can shed some additional light on that.

slowpuffer

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2012
frennchy11, love the avatar of Lee Van Cleef. I'm a huge fan of the "Spaghetti Westerns." The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is my favorite movie. I may even consider Van Cleef's performance in those movies more stellar the Eastwood's, although I would never be willing to say that to Clint's face.

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
I just got an email from the fellow who sells the Strambach meers on ebay. I was asking specifically about the base material used for their pipes. Basically, pressed or not? Which one is it? His answer may clear up some confusion.
"Greetings and thank you for your inquiry,

The Strambach pipes are unique in material and are neither mined block or pressed meerschaum. Strambach uses a proprietary method of laboratory 'cultured' meerschaum. They simulate the process that forms natural meerschaum in a laboratory setting over a 2+ year process. This 'cultured' meerschaum is then carved and has many of the characteristics of 'block' meerschaum. Cultured meerschaum are lightweight, handcarved, colors from smoking, absorbs moisture, and have great smoking qualities. Strambach has used this process since the early 1900s and was even the supplier for the legendary Andreas Bauer pipes which are great smokers. Due to their cultured process being so unique it is often misunderstood and lumped into the same type as pressed (scraps of meerschaum ground and then glued together) because they do not use harvested naturally occurring meerschaum.

The problems with pressed meerschaum is due to the adhesive they use to press all the grindings together which prevents it from being porous so the smoking quality is not as good. Also, the shapes are limited for pressed meerschaum as they use molds after pressing the grindings and adhesives together instead of carving them like they do with block and cultured block meerschaum.

you will not be disappointed with the Strambach products, if you are looking to try one for the first time, my most popular model is a 'Student' pipe with bamboo that is smaller and only $69 here in my ebay store.

hope that helps,

Holiday Blessings"

Status
Not open for further replies.