PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
I thought it’d be fun to capture the coloring process on this Meerschaum. This pipe was handed down to me from my grandfather and I’ve finally decided to smoke it.
I’ll update the pictures about once a month and we’ll see what happens. I’ve smoked three bowls before the pictures were taken.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Has anyone seen anything like this on a Meerschaum before? Could this be the year it was made or purchased? I just discovered this shortly after posting the pictures. I’ve had this pipe for years, but only noticed the 65 marking when I cleaned the pipe after smoking last night.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Dave, I have an almost identical pipe and mine has the number 95 though mine is actually on the face of the mortice on the pipe and not on the stem.
My stem is different though, not yellow like yours but a maple syrup coloured acrylic.
Regards,
Jay.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
Great idea, Dave! I'm looking forward to seeing the progression.
Has anyone seen anything like this on a Meerschaum before?

Yeah, it's fairly common. Look on the end of the shank and you might find more of the same.
1BjefHl.jpg

It might not be a "65". It could be hastily scribbled Turkish letters. I don't know what whether it's used to match stems to shanks or if it's a carver signature or what, but I doubt that it's a date reference.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Very interesting, I will be watching too.
I wonder why so many Meerschaum pipes have the yellow stem? I have two yellow ones and one marbled yellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.