PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
I don't handle this pipe when I'm smoking and never with dirty or oily hands. It's turning orange, but at the base of the bowl, it's coloring oddly, and it's brown. Those dots aren't dirt by the way. Anyways, has anyone experienced similar coloring? Did it even up for you?
DSCF0480_zpsadceeulv.jpg

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Cool. Thanks, Warren, once again. I thought as much but didn't think it'd hurt to ask. I'm still lusting over your meers by the way.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
+1 on warren. In time the coloring will migrate somewhat. Each piece has its own patterns. Less dense areas tend to take color quicker. Meerschaum is a naturally occurring formation and like all things in nature it isn't uniform. But smoke away it might just prove to be a very interesting coloring process.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Thanks again, guys. I think a Butera coloring bowl would annoy me. Thanks for the suggestion though. I would handle my meer, but it's way too hot in Cali to handle any of my pipes by their bowls. I've gotten use to handling my pipes by the stem anyhow. Thanks for sharing your experience though!

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
By the way, Samaden, I read one of your forum topics on the coloring bowl. It's a year or so old. Could you post some pics of your beautiful pipe today? I get a kick out of seeing a nice meer.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
FYI no matter how clean your hands are your hands still have oils on them. I handle my Meerschaum and have no issues. Meerschaum is a natural product and each pipe will color differently. You can't expect it to color evenly. Just smoke it and watch what happens.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Actually I concur with that view. I just stick tobacco in one end and put the other end in my mouth and smoke it and whatever happens is going to happen. Try the silver penny/dime trick which is what I swear by to color the bottom half of the pipe and the stem.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Yes you have Cortez! I must have been asked about it twenty odd times on this forum. Shall I cut and paste it from an earlier thread? :)

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Try the silver penny/dime trick
Looked for it Condor. All I could get took me back to this thread. If you would not mind please restate or list the thread.

Sorry about the inability to find it. :oops:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
OK guys here is what you do and this is a trick I learned as a lad from a very old pipe smoker. You put either a silver button or a silver three penny piece (six pence) or in the case of those who live in the Colonies a silver dime at the bottom of your pipe. You then smoke your pipe normally and the stem and the bottom of the bowl will turn yellow and then a darker color over longer periods of time. He is an example:
eBay_02_zps35e711be.jpg

Reactions: hyperstar
Status
Not open for further replies.