Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
So I had my first smoke in my new Yanik meerschaum
jSbLG.jpg

Now, the interior chamber walls just appear slightly browned at first, but now that I've used an alcohol soaked Q-tip on it, it's blackened quite a bit.
I know that discoloration in the chamber is without a doubt going to happen, and I know about the coloration that will permeate through the meerschaum and appear on the outside of the pipe as well.
What I'm concerned about is the chamber actually getting damaged and worn away by heat. Is this an inevitability of meerschaum pipes?

mikemacrdlnds

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 21, 2011
No, it will not. I have a 120+ meer, the interior has no thinning. Just wipe out with a paper towel, and once a week wipe out with a towel moisted with Everclear. Also Fred Bass goes into cleaning Meerschaums in a article in the Fall issue of Pipes and Tobaccos.

img_0622-600x450.jpg

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Don't mean to hijack but when I tried to search for info in the magazine, Pipes and Tobaccos, I came up with no info on how/where to get it, cost, etc. Point me in the right direction if ya please :puffy:

mikemacrdlnds

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 21, 2011
Sorry, meant Pipes and Tobacco Magazine. Article appears on home page, click on the picture of the Meerschaum, will come right up.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Yup, pretty close to what rothnh said. You want no cake to form. Remember to run a cleaner through the stem to the bowl after every smoke and a wipe out in the bowl and your good to go mate. Nice Meer you got there mate, take care of her.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
amen brothers. i need to invest into some clays and meers. just one thing, i need money.
mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.